• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Detroits

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While I've not had one in a CUCV, I've had one in a few front axles.

off road - awesome
mud - awesome
Snow - we don't get that kinda stuff around here much...
disengaged - fine in rain/ice, just like normal - locked in hold on for your life.
Hard surfaces - locked in, sucks, hard to steer/binds up the drivetrain.

The Detroit for a D60 comes in it's own carrier. You could get a smaller luchbox locker (powertrax, lock-right, exc.) that would swap out the spider gears in your carrier. But they tend to not be as durable as the detroit locker.

BTW, you'll find the next weak link in the front end with a locker up front....

engineman2

I've been kind of curious about this myself. I was considering installing a lunchbox locker when I rebuilt the front axle. What Patracy just said is basically what I've been reading about them so far. Patracy is also right when he says a lunchbox is not as strong as a Detroit. That might be a good thing to mitigate breakage of other front axle parts, if the locker takes a dump first before something else. I'm still undecided on if I'm going to do it. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

richingalveston

elocker

I really like the idea of the elocker. this way you can control when it is on and off.
having the detroit in the rear and being automattic does not make much difference in the rain or on pavement. you get some tire wear and noise but I dont think it is dangerous if you drive with a little care in the rain.
In the front it is a different story thus I plan to go with the elocker.
downside is they are not as strong but the upside to that is it breaks before something else.

Unless you plan to only wheel the truck, no pavement then I think a detroit or other auto locker is not a problem in the front.

If you plan on a lot or even moderate street use, I think the front locker must be controlable for safety.

jrod66

I am spooled in the front of my crawler, I love it for all applications except street, but I have hydraulic steering, if you do alot of street driving the detroit is not the locker for you, they are pretty stout as far as strength goes, but the elocker is a decent alternative, what size tires are you planning on running?

mudman

You must be able to unlock or select being locked up or not on your front axle. They are crap on the street, great in mud and wild in the snow, do not use them on a side hills, oh and always wear a seat belt!!!!

kassim503

The locked front always gave me terrible results with turning. I used to switch the drivers side hub on and off to act as the "differential" when the trails got too twisty and only turned it on when it was time to hammer it through a bog or whatever needed true 4wd.

tourus

just to throught my 2 cents in I weld the front of a GM10 bolt once broke axles all the time even in mud and snow. seemed ever time got on it with tires turned broke an axle. got rid it soon after.

jrod66

yes but a 10 bolt is one of the weakest axles made by gm, and if you welded it I can see this being a failure, I welded the diffs on my old bronco that had 2.5 rocks in it and I never had an axle failure even with 49's and a big block, all depends on your equipment, it would be fine in a 60 for awhile, but eventually you will toast the axle shafts

allrevup

Had both on built front Dana60's. The PowerTrack in the M1008, a Detroit Locker in my other truck. Both are great additions and have similar characteristics. ON road the powertrack is much quieter, both perform as well OFF road, but as mention earlier the way to go is a "Selectable" Air, Electric or Cable, they give you more driving options and they will extend your drive line longevity

Was planning on upgrading the outers to 35 spline anyway..... Mostly will be mud/snow/ice and gravel roads/tracks. On highway I have never needed 4wd (starting from wet snow covered hilly parking lots in Seattle nonwithstanding)

My thought was that an unlocked detroit up front would be essentially open on pavement - interesting idea of locking the pax side... would that act like a limited slip on pavement?

39" with the D60 (4500# GVW), MAY eventually go larger but would then use a Dana 70 (8000#GVW) which should be strong enough?

My 'wheeling tends to be 2wd in until stuck, 4wd out, chains in spring mud or southern (wet) snow/ice with back couuntry access/transit more than rock crawling/trail conquering. Look at maps of Northern BC/AB/SK and the Yukon/NWT - not much sand/slickrock/trails but lots of oilpatch and forestry 'dozer cut survey lines in soggy bush foothill country.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, the Detroit in the front will be virtually invisible unless under power. Even with the hubs locked in, you won't notice it unless you engage the transfer case or the locker malfunctions.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FWIW, the Detroit in the front will be virtually invisible unless under power. Even with the hubs locked in, you won't notice it unless you engage the transfer case or the locker malfunctions.
Off road, that's true, but mine banged and jerked a lot. I ended up only locking in the passenger side for most wheeling.

cheiser666

I was moving stuff in the backyard and had 4wd engaged hubs locked. I put in 2wd and kept hubs locked on driveway and it was nearly impossible to steer.

leeh725

I just had a front and rear axles overhauled in January. Allen at 249 Drivetrain did not have a high opinion of the lunch box lockers at all. I value his advice since manual transmissions, transfer cases, and axles are the only things he works on. He has plenty of carnage from those to show anyone who asks.

Based on what I saw, I'd say you should skip the lunchbox locker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks