• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Dust Boots

Merc1973

My old zipper boots, which were probably installed in 1989 when the truck was updated, are shot. Been cracked since i got the truck in 2013. Never submerged axles in water or driven in snow to avoid potential rust. I read the StepXstep front end service thread. At this point should i expect to disassemble it all and replace all the seals and relube the front end or get away with just a quick zipper boot job? My gut says do it all, I'm dreading it though, hahaha.

Is there a list of what i should replace? Looks like Big Mikes Motorpool has all of it.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's always the question, isn't it?
You are not alone in dreading it, so did I. I decided to bite the bullet and do it all.
One thing that pisses me off way more than a long and tedious repair job is to have to do it over again because something else broke that I could have changed the first time but chose not to!

After some research I went with slightly oversized boots from rockwelloffroad.com and did the king pin bushings complete with new plates and axle shaft seals (upgraded carrier with sock-type seal - they call it "wobble seal") as well. I chose orange boots because that way, when someone looks, there is no doubt that the boots have been done! :)

Once the axle was supported and I started wrenching, it actually went way better than I had thought. Take your time, keep plenty of rags and brake cleaner nearby and it will be fine!

Merc1973

Thanks! I appreciate that. It will settle any thoughts of doubting the condition of seals and bearings. I'm going try the gold zipper kit and brake cylinder rebuild kits.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Say you gonnah keep her for yourself and descendants forever and let that be your guide. ...... B Mikes stuff is $$$$
The "dust boots" are dust boots and not meant to hold in grease. Follow the TM and remove the plug and let the nasties goes OUT.
There is many multiple maybe hundreds threads on dust boots.
I found zero wrong with Zipper boots, made many posts.
Is the truck for You and Yours or to flip?
Why not use GAA? Thats what it says to use. [another 700 post on that subject].
The caveat is that be careful as different specifications of grease are detrimental to what it is you attempting to accomplish, some do not mix good.
One may do the entire axle pull, seal, labor intensive job but maybe just Your first time into it just protect it. Takes a couple of whiles to get the proper jacks and stands . How many miles, in dirt and mud and underwater or just on the gravel or ashphalt or cement roads?
Anywho, remember that grease is easily collected in old newspaper , burns good too, and Dawn is your friend and a chepo LP pressure cleaner.
Do some $$ and drive Her and do some work $$$$ and drive her.
You want photos?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks