• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front end noise

dodge6bt

Was going to take the truck for a spin. When I started driving it is made a turn and heard some poping in the hub area. I know I needed boots so started tearing in. Everything seamed free and some what greased. I pulled the axle shaft and I have the ball style. My question is how do I tell if it bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated about this style of shaft

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Doesn't look too bad. Does it make popping or grinding noises when you move it around?

I'd clean it up, re-grease, and try it out. If its bad you can swap it out for another. I'd upgrade to the U-joint style though.

dodge6bt

Going straight it sounds fine only when I turn. I took it apart and cleaned up everything the center ball has a pin in it. Is there supposed to be a spring behind that pin to keep a little tension in the joint?

rustystud

Since Gerhard hasn't showed up I'll answer the question. There is No spring in the constant velocity joint. I know most people will say this style of joint is weaker then the U-joint style but actually they are stronger in many ways. That is why the military used them for so many years. The standard U-joint is the most common style of joint and much cheaper to make so that is why they went to this style in later models. If you don't believe me go to this site which sells the constant velocity joint and shafts for the deuce.
http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details-axles.aspx?sku=CVJRCK-16
I remember in mechanic's school we had to rebuild all styles of joints and learn there uses and the constant velocity was the Cadillac of joints. Very expensive to manufacture though.

dodge6bt

Well I'm stuck with them so hopefully she good cleaning and replaced of old grease will help it

dodge6bt

Yea it looks like the casting marks are not even worn off. I found boots and brake pads for 20$ a pice will be in tomorrow then I'm putting it back together