• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front End Overhaul - Upgrade

donalloy1

Fellow SSer's,

Finally put some descent tires on my 09. Went with the 33 x 10.50 BF Goodrich t/a km2 design. Very happy with tire. No clearance problems that I foresee and they do not sing much more that Goodyears it came with. Now for bad news.

Front-end technician gave me a laundry list of to-dos.

Sector Shaft @ S/G moves up/down

Frame flexing at S/G - said these are notorious for this and I need to add a truss to take up load that design does not. Would really like input on this one!

Drag link at PA worn.

Leaf Spring Shackle bushings worn out.

Front Diff crooked. OUCH! That outa be fun? Could probably use some hints there to.

They are more little items. But that pretty much gets point across. Knew it was a project vehicle but geeze. Thought Front end was in pretty good shape. He was able to set up so I will not chew up my new rubber thank the lord! Will report back as I cross off punch list.

As always your input would be greatly appreciated. DMLII sends....

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did he give you a REASON why he thought all this occurred. If it's just worn out parts and you are handy, it's just parts. They are 25 year old trucks. Most need something. SOME need a lot more.

I wonder if your guy gave you an estimate for work he says needs to be done?

n1bnc

How is the front diff crooked? That is strange... Never heard THAT one before.

Bushings are easy, torch out the old ones and pound in the new ones. The frame flex issues are common and there is a kit that can be welded in to support the steering box area. This usually exhibited by cracks appearing where the box bolts to the frame. The rest is pretty much bits and pieces as previously mentioned. I had a '72 Jimmy that the whole front end was held in by wishful thinking and gravity. It took some going through to get it to steer in an intended direction...

donalloy1

Most of what I gather from tech is Teenagers beating tar out of it. She has very low miles. No estimates yet. Will handle mostly myself at shop with help of motor pool chief.

Far as we can tell center pin has been sheared on Starbourd side which allowed axle to move aft about 1/4". That's the first I will tackle! Seems to me of most importance.

Drag link slop, sector shaft movement and worn bushings are all pretty easy.aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks