• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front-end rebuild journey Death Wobble

V8Astro

I put DW in the subject line to help other with future searches.

I recently experienced the DW for the first time. I replaced the king pin bushings and springs because of the awesome info here. I also replaced the left outer tie rod, balanced the front tires and did an alignment.

I replaced the shocks today. Got some cheap Monroe shocks. I prefer Bilstein but don't have the money right now. Previously, I put the springs/bushings/tie rod on during work hours while I had some down time. I guess that's why I didn't notice these horribly obvious things that were also wrong. I don't know how one beats the leaf spring bushing out of place but man-o-man someone did. The spring had worn a groove in the bracket.

I'm going to replace all the bushings in the front with Energy Suspensions poly bushings. I installed these bushings in the rear control arms of my Impala when it was super-charged and WOW what a difference. Prices aren't too bad either. About $40 for the 6 sets with CM sleeves. I'll have more pics soon.

Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

V8Astro

Installation was a success but I hit another snag. Looks like the DS leaf spring pack has been replaced. The front eyelet where the bushing presses into is only 2-3/4" wide. This leaves room for the spring to slide across the bushing.

The PS spring eyelet width is 3" and the bushing fit perfectly. I drove deep into the hood to St.Louis Spring Co and got a replacement spring pack. Got back to the shop and realized the the replacement spring also has a 2-3/4" wide eyelet.

So now I'm stuck trying to find an OE spring or cut my losses and buy a matching pair (which I don't have the $$$ for).

Could someone measure theirs and see if both sides match and what the measurement is?

EDIT: From what I've found so far only the OE springs were 3" wide. Any replacements are 2-3/4". That's why there are 2 listings in the Energy Suspensions catalog. The bushing set http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-2112R/?rtype=10 have a front bushings with a thicker shoulder to take up the extra 1/4". My problem now is I have 1 of each....

Last edited:

V8Astro

Here's the final outcome. I'm leaving the mis-matched springs in until I can afford the ORD 4" lift. That's what I really want so buying a set of front leafs would be silly.

I had a piece of 1.5" ID DOM tubing .135" wall. I had my machinist friend cut me two .125" spacers from the tube.

Attachments

pgwaldner

If you were closer or having someone come through north Alabama I have a set of front springs I would give you for the mismatched ones as they will probably go to the scrapper.
Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks