• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front-end rebuild journey Death Wobble

V8Astro

I put DW in the subject line to help other with future searches.

I recently experienced the DW for the first time. I replaced the king pin bushings and springs because of the awesome info here. I also replaced the left outer tie rod, balanced the front tires and did an alignment.

I replaced the shocks today. Got some cheap Monroe shocks. I prefer Bilstein but don't have the money right now. Previously, I put the springs/bushings/tie rod on during work hours while I had some down time. I guess that's why I didn't notice these horribly obvious things that were also wrong. I don't know how one beats the leaf spring bushing out of place but man-o-man someone did. The spring had worn a groove in the bracket.

I'm going to replace all the bushings in the front with Energy Suspensions poly bushings. I installed these bushings in the rear control arms of my Impala when it was super-charged and WOW what a difference. Prices aren't too bad either. About $40 for the 6 sets with CM sleeves. I'll have more pics soon.

Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

V8Astro

Installation was a success but I hit another snag. Looks like the DS leaf spring pack has been replaced. The front eyelet where the bushing presses into is only 2-3/4" wide. This leaves room for the spring to slide across the bushing.

The PS spring eyelet width is 3" and the bushing fit perfectly. I drove deep into the hood to St.Louis Spring Co and got a replacement spring pack. Got back to the shop and realized the the replacement spring also has a 2-3/4" wide eyelet.

So now I'm stuck trying to find an OE spring or cut my losses and buy a matching pair (which I don't have the $$$ for).

Could someone measure theirs and see if both sides match and what the measurement is?

EDIT: From what I've found so far only the OE springs were 3" wide. Any replacements are 2-3/4". That's why there are 2 listings in the Energy Suspensions catalog. The bushing set http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-2112R/?rtype=10 have a front bushings with a thicker shoulder to take up the extra 1/4". My problem now is I have 1 of each....

Last edited:

V8Astro

Here's the final outcome. I'm leaving the mis-matched springs in until I can afford the ORD 4" lift. That's what I really want so buying a set of front leafs would be silly.

I had a piece of 1.5" ID DOM tubing .135" wall. I had my machinist friend cut me two .125" spacers from the tube.

Attachments

pgwaldner

If you were closer or having someone come through north Alabama I have a set of front springs I would give you for the mismatched ones as they will probably go to the scrapper.
Glen