• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front end wobbles.....

jwaller

I just bought this lot of Michelin XZL's. almost all of them were new and had the price of $631.xx on them. I mean theres twice the rubber(and steel) in one of those than a titan 11x20. and only 100 more.

If you guys can buy these 11x20's direct for a little over a hundred bucks then I'm going to have to call my local titan dealer. turns out there is one listed on their site 7 miles from my house.

Barrman

"Death Wobble" is normally associated with solid front axle smaller vehicles like a baby Jeep or p/u truck. But, the result is the same. You will be driving along just fine until you reach or specific speed or hit a bump in a turn. Then the steering wheel will start going back and forth, the front of the truck will start bouncing, you will be thown around and you will not be able to stay in your lane. You can hit the gas and hope to drive out of it or slow down.

My M715 used to do it every day on a specific road at a specific spot on that road if I was going between 38-46 mph only. I redid the king pin bushings, bearings, tie rod ends, drag link ends, checked alignment a lot all for nothing. Then I started rotating tires around. That would change the speed at which it happened, bot not stop it. Then I started varying air psi. I finally found the right combination and it went away. Those were 40 year old NDT's though. I put XZL's on in APR 06 and haven't thought about Death Wobble since until I read this thread.

Do the tires and it should fix it. Here is the link I could't find last night.

http://www.noflats.com/homepage.htm

sailor2000

I have worked for a Gov't contractor... on the Trident Submarine program... I could tell you more, but I would have to kill you.. but I can tell you, in general, the contractors are not making excessive profits... the paperwork involved is enormous... for every guy actually making the widget, there are 3 more doing the Gov't paperwork and 2 more watching the 3 doing the paperwork... not that there are not occasional abuses... there are.. and we need to be hanging those SOBs by the neck from a yard arm... but our armed forces have the best equipment on the planet... and when they pull the trigger... it goes BANG... and when a Grunt calls in a 155mm round 100 yds in front of him.. that is where it lands... because we have the best quality control on the planet... and that is not cheap.. and is worth every penny...

Sorry... rant over...

I am no longer in the defense industries...

Quality costs $... and our fine and brave men and women on the line deserve the best...

dabtl

I came across a rather unusual circumstance, I think.

The deuce wobbled after hitting bumps. I rebuilt the steering gear, it needed it. I then rebuilt the drag link, it needed it worse. The sockets were so worn the lubrication grooves were worn off. For $38 bucks from Memphis, the job is simple and cheap.

While turning the steering gear a loud popping sound got my attention. The axle was moving on the leaf springs. Loose nuts on the u-bolts was the cause. We torqued them heavily back into place.

No more wobble. Go figure.

Blood_of_Tyrants

emmado22 said:
And now the 2 sisters are looking at jail time. There is a BIG difference between making a few bucks off of Uncle Sam, and outrigth SCREWING him.. And he doesnt like to be screwed...
I dunno. A $750,000 fine for screwing the gubmint out of $20.5 million. Seems like a deal.

greensix

The problem with balancing non directional military tires is you can not just take a tire off run it up to the truck shop and have it done.you have to run the tires and warm them up to get the flat spots out from sitting.or you will just be trying to balance the flat spot.some shops can balance steering tires right on the truck about $25.00 a tire.the other option is powder they put in that is supposed to even out.I only use new tires up front titans t373s I have not had any luck rotating any up front without ending up with a shimmy.with the weight and friction on the front tires they wear out faster than the others.

Rocco

Make sure your wheels are on tight,
And have you recently taken the Drums off to change the brake shoes or wheel bearings?
Because the hubs might not be on tight enough.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get 9:00-20's at gensco tire on OST by SH288 for $49. They have thousands of them and you have to pick through them for the best ones. Some are new others are used. All the tires on my M35 and m105 are from there. When you get ready i'll take you over there and you can look at them. They deal in GOV surplus tires. Mostly aircraft stuff. But they shread most others. So they sell them cheep.