• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front hub bearings

dinosaur

My W200/M880 had the right front wheel really loose like the bearings were shot. Ordered a new SET25 bearings and seals and just got done replacing them and still have the same problem. About a year ago the short shafts were replaced due to u-joint replacement (from previous post) and the brearings were replaced then also. If I remember right, everything was good and tight when I was done.
The brearings that came out look good, nothing out of the ordinary.
Does anybodyhave any thoughts on what to check? The bearings were a tap fit on the hub, and the races didn't seem to have any play in the axle (I always check before final assembly in case the bearing seized and spun the race thus wearing out the axle)
Thanks
Ray

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the races go all the way into the hub? Sure it isn't the king pins?

dinosaur

I checked and the ball joints/king pins are good. When I rock the whell top-bottom you can see the axle move.
So I took everything apart and reseated the bearings on the hub and still had the same problem.
Took it all apart again and the removed the axle assembly (luckily the pass side w/short shaft) and this time just got the wheel bearings started on the hub, and seated them by tightening up on the axle nut to the 100ftlbs, thus seating the bearings in their "proper" location. Reinstalled and everything is as tight as it should be, no wiggle.
So I'm wondering if my hub is worn, thus letting the bearings in too far and causing them to be loose in the axle.
Thanks for alll your info, and hopefully they don't loosen up in a few hundred miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks