• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Hub Conversion question

tourus

OK So I was over Helping A friend take apart the front hubs on his new to him 1 ton dually. He bought it for cheap money just for the axles. the rest is junk. He is putting the font and rear under a blazer.

now for the question. has anyone seen or heard of turning the front hob down so that a single wheel rim will fit over it.

I guess a better way is to say. put the hub in a lathe and turn it all down. cut the flange off and machine the rest down to a single. then there is a ring to weld on to strengthen the area where your stud will come through..

now said friend has friends in a machine shop that is going to do this for free(best).

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, been done many times. It's much weaker than a regular hub. There are only 8 little flanges to secure the wheels. These were designed to hold the rotors. Not sure of the engineering aspect of adding a plate for strength. Big question, what is he going to do to narrow the Dana 70? It's just as wide. An alternative is to run HMMWV rims.

Last edited:

Chaski

I was going to turn down DRW front hubs, then I looked at them a little more and decided to not be cheap and spend the $300 for a pair of new SRW front hubs from AC Delco that came with new rotors and bearing races. If you take a good look at it you will see that a turned down DRW hub is much weaker than a SRW hub.

tourus

well thanks for the reply's I will look into just buying hubs .. but money is a real issue sometime for said friend . but I am going to look at buying and then doing some swapping thanks for your time..

rollingcoal

I have the humvee 12 bolt bead lock wheels on 37 mt what hub assembly for the front should I buy? I don't want to put spacers in the front to get the rims to fit? any recommendations?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the humvee 12 bolt bead lock wheels on 37 mt what hub assembly for the front should I buy? I don't want to put spacers in the front to get the rims to fit? any recommendations?
Any GM 4x4 dually hub from 77-87 and V30 from 88-91 will work. I guess this is assuming you have GM Dana 60 front. Why don't you tell us what truck/axle you have?

rollingcoal

I have a 1985 K20 4x4 6.2 diesel. 4 inch lift other than that pretty much stock. I have a 14 bolt rear diff, and 12 bolt front diff.

rollingcoal

I took a look and verified that it is indeed a 10 bolt in the front. Rats. thank you for the help. time to start looking for an upgrade lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks