• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front hub smoking.

slaytonfab

Ok so I have my M35a2 sitting for about a month. I finally had some free time to go cruise the country roads. As I started driving I noticed it seems to be under power and harder to steer than usual (ran perfectly fine last time I drove it). Once I drove about 10 miles I came to a stop and saw smoke coming from the driver front hub. I got down to take a closer look and saw oil/grease leaking form the hub as well as massive amount of smoke and hot temps coming from the hub. It is acting like the wheel is binding up and hard for the wheel to turn making it seem under powered and harder to steer. I have not had the time to take it all apart and see what all is going on yet. Hopefully I will have time this weekend. But has any had this happen to them? Is there anything I should be sure to look for? Please help me out. When I get time to tinker with it I will take pics and give more info. Thanks

Big Z

Wheel bearing is out. Jack it up and push/pull the top of the tire towards/away from the center of the truck. There should be very little play, but I'm betting you'll have a bunch; as well as noticeable drag and gritty noise when you spin it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad bearing. Watch out for over temping the tire. The heat will blow it out.

Memphis Equipment
Erik's Surplus
TJ Murray
Boyce Equipment
White Owl
and many others

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Exact same thing happened to my passenger front side in March - same length of drive too. Got a replacement Timken from O'reilly(don't remember the number - they just looked up the number on the old one).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No way to tell till you take it apart and inspect. Sure it could be a wheel bearing, could be bad brakes too. I've had both heat up a hub.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks