• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front inner axle seal

brainsboy

I had a bearing go bad on my front axle and plan on replacing the boot and seals. I currently have everything apart but cant figure out how to get the inner seal out of the axle housing, it almost seams as it would have to be pushed through the housing and come out where the 3rd member is.

Ben

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The entire metal retainer needs to be pulled. Banshee365 did a nice write up on the front axle.

Clay James

Easiest method is to remove both sides, stick a long pole through and rest against the retainer on the other side and give it a few whacks with the hammer and they pop right now. I tried it with a slide hammer the first time and got nowhere fast.

brainsboy

I didnt see any seams in the metal, it looks as if everything is one part. The seal inside is also flopping around it can be pushed back and forth, so Im not sure if thats normal

For the slide hammer method i dont have to pull the 3rd member out?

FormerNewMVGuy

I use a ten pound slide hammer , rips em right out , do you have new seals? When you put the housing and seal back in put a little smear of rtv on the housing. It helps to slide in and seals it at the same time.

brainsboy

So is the seal the only thing Im knocking out? Its blocked by metal which the axle shaft washer rides against. Is the seal seperate from the metal or is it supposed to be all one piece?

No I dont have the inner seals yet

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM has a good breakdown diagram. Most decent truck shops have a seal puller. Using this tool, the seal and washer will pop out together. I will try to take a pic of mine tomorrow.

FormerNewMVGuy

So is the seal the only thing Im knocking out? Its blocked by metal which the axle shaft washer rides against. Is the seal seperate from the metal or is it supposed to be all one piece?

No I dont have the inner seals yet
You have to pull the entire housing out of the axle tube , the seal fits in the backside of the housing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

welldigger

If your going to do one side I suggest doing both. Disassemble and remove both steering knuckles and pull axle shafts. Recovery4x4 posted an excellent write up on this. Then go to home depot or similar type store and get a 6ft piece of 1/2" black iron pipe and a 1/2" black iron cap. Screw the cap onto one end of the pipe. This gives a nice striking surface. Now starting on the passenger side of the truck insert the end of the pipe that does NOT the the cap through the third member to the other side. Lift upwards at about the 2 or 10 o'clock position after you get it through the third member while inserting. This should wedge you in the bottom left or right corner of the housing behind the seal retainer. Give a few generous whacks with a 3 or 4 pound hammer and the seal and retainer both should pop right out. Then repeat on the driver side.