• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front knuckle grease

sermis

OK can someone explain? Why is grease needed to be packed in the front steering knuckles on the deuce? OK on the old 4 ball joints I understand but on the new style “U” joints, why does grease need to be packed inside of the knuckles. I tore my front axel down to install a locker. After snapping 2 carrier bolts I discovered that my CRAFTSMAN POS torque wrench, well the rubber grip moved causing the dial to be off any way why do I need to add grease. A little to lube the shaft and bushing and maybe a little to seal the outside of the cups to keep the dust out but why pack. The U joints look sealed just like a normal U joint but does not have a grease fitting.

devilman96

Pending the u joint type they can or can not be sealed, the grease is mostly for rust and lube like your thinking... Another benny is it displaces water!

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i think of it this way, the axles has a large washer or flange if you will, at each side of the joint. when installed in the knuckle with the spindle the flange washer is riding on the backside of the spindle and the front face of the axle seal retainer in the axle tube. with out the grease i think these parts would wear or exen heat up and possibly distort the seal.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
sermis said:
After snapping 2 carrier bolts I discovered that my CRAFTSMAN POS torque wrench, well the rubber grip moved causing the dial to be off
i snapped the bolts with my craftsman wrench too. i dont know if the dial was off or if my handle slipped, but i had it set to the 250lb max and it broke the bolts that are supposed to get 300lb before it ever clicked at 250. aua atleast the broke bolt was easy to remove for me and i had a few spares in the shop

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mudlord hit it. The axle shaft floats some. Grease is needed to lube the thrust washer and the boss of the axle shaft. I think the innerseal retainer plate needs grease also. This keeps the yoke from wearing it out. I like to disassemble clean and regrease mine once a ear. Because i take mine through mud holes and deep water. I use marine grease. Water/mud doesen't affect it as bad.