• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front leaf springs

red

What is the weight rating of the front leaf springs on the 5 ton trucks?

Planning a trailer project and trying to figure out if I can use just 1 rear axle with the front leaf springs, or if it will require the stock rear suspension.

Maximum trailer weight including payload would be 25-30k.

red

Fifth wheel or pintle?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Pintle.

Axle (or axles) will be near the rear of the trailer. Taking the m51a2 remains and turning it into a trailer.

Plan is to have the bed swappable and will be mounted at the rear of the trailer. Between the hitch and the bed/beds will be generator, welder, and tools.

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

I am not sure of the weight capacity of the front springs, but I would gather it could be calculated with knowing the particular trucks GVW and GVWR. One point I would like to mention is 25k to 30k pounds on a single axle is a lot. I am not sure what on highway tires would be able to handle 15k but I know the 53" XZLs are about the only tire to handle 15k payload, that is readily available.

someoldmoose

No idea about Utah but any state I've ever been in \ through if you get weighed with 30K lbs. on a single axle trailer . . . you'll probably be adding another axle. Are you just gonna let the drive axles from the truck rotate unpowered ?

red

The trailer will stay with the tandems.

I'll create a build thread for the trailer when the project starts, currently working on the airbrake conversion to the m816 wrecker. The axles will be gutted on the trailer for less rolling resistance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks