• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Left Wheel Knocking Sound

cg25713

Hey All:

On small to moderate bumps I'm getting a knocking/thumping sound from my front left wheel area. Any ideas on what it could be, how to trouble shoot it, or how to fix it?

For those that follow my posts and have helped me in the past, this is not the wheel I recently changed the tire on.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ajax MD

First, ensure that the front left half axle is still solidly bolted to the brake disc.
Next, ensure that the retaining bolt for the other end of the half axle inside the portal hub is still tight.
Third, jack up the front left wheel and give it a strong shake from top to bottom then side to side. Ensure that there is no play. You may have a loose spindle nut.

If all that checks out fine, you probably have a worn CV joint in the half axle. Does the noise occur on the straight and level or does it occur more during turns?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start simple... Is the shock absorber properly bolted in place or did it loosen.

Might also be the torque converter shield OR the under the tranny heat shield. These are known areas of issues.

Then, Ajax MD seems right on point.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My initial suspect would be suspension issue like ball joints, tie rods, pitman or idler arms etc.

Jacking up wheel and shaking looking for excessive play, ripped boots, rust stains from joints

Does vehicle have a lean in that direction?

Ajax MD

I should have asked: Does the speed/rythym of the sound correlate with the speed of the front left wheel? If not, you're looking at some other kind of problem.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another member here tracing a noise not long ago realized he'd lost a piece of tread off the tire on the noisy corner. Could be lots of things.

BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks