• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front main seal??? Bad Leak!!!

crazywelder72

I got some seal questions unfortunately. I think i just lost my front seal on my deuce less than one hr ago. Almost home (about one mile) and I smelled oil. I didn't see anything from the cab when I parked so I let the motor run for a few like supposed to to cool the turbo.

When I got out, my front diff was covered with oil as was the ground. I took pics as i was searching for the source. Basically I started looking up under the primary fuel filter to the turbo because I saw a puddle under the slobber-tube on the frame. Then up over the alternator, to behind the harmonic balance.

I think the fan was blowing it back and it was hitting the "spinning plate" on the front diff throwing it up to the slobber tube but don't know.

Enjoy the pics, but they make me nauseous. Please lend some insight. I have read a little about rear main seals but nothing about this.

Attachments

crazywelder72

Really? Did yours look like this also? I started looking thru the TM's but i am not finding much on this. How in-depth was the tear-down? What kind of seal is it?

Napa is good, Not knowing to much about what I have to do to fix this is not.

crazywelder72

I hope so also. Where did the pieces end up? So aaron379, it looks like you removed the radiator and everything going back. Is the bare shaft the crank? i see the gear in the oil pan. Did you have to drop the pan also? I am still trying to find information.

Flyingvan911

Do you have diesel in your motor oil? When my fuel manifold heater pumped a gallon of diesel into my crankcase, the front seal leaked. I changed the oil and it's fine now.

crazywelder72

I don't know, but i will look into it. How did your manifold heater fail like that? My heater is on a switch on the dash. I would think if your weren't on the switch you weren't pumping fuel to it. I understand anything is possible, I am just trying to get a better understanding of whats going on.

Still, trying to drain and change the oil is far easier than doing a seal.

martinwcox

:ditto:

Dave,

I don't think you FDC is bypassed, that can also leak and 'make oil', drain the sump, make sure you have a 10 gallon bucket as if its full with fuel a mess it will make! :drool:

Martin.

crazywelder72

I have quite a few of 5 gal buckets right next to my plow (that i need to move to make room for my boat).

I remember other threads about my HH (thank you again Martincox) discussing bypassed FDC's and what not. I guess I will go back and do some re-reading about it and about how to bypass it.

Is yours bypassed Martin? Besides this issue i trully think your motor runs way better than mine.

aaron379

I hope so also. Where did the pieces end up? So aaron379, it looks like you removed the radiator and everything going back. Is the bare shaft the crank? i see the gear in the oil pan. Did you have to drop the pan also? I am still trying to find information.
the timing cover held the piece on the crank, everything was removed from the block out its no big deal to do though.... you do not have to drop the pan that gear id the oil pump, and the bare shaft is the crank there is also a gear that goes there too you have to pull it off to get the key out of the key way

crazywelder72

Thanks for the info. If I have to go as deep as Aaron did then so be it, but I will defiantly start with a oil change and bypassing the FDC. I know it takes 22 quarts , but wondering what the concessions is about what type of black gold to put back in.

Since I don't have one of those fancy vortex oil separator framitzy gigs, should I put what I drain back in the fuel tank?

Towerguy1

Keep monitoring your oil level after you bypass the FDC. Mine had a leak in the booster pump (on the injector pump) If you are "makeing oil" you havent found the problem.

martinwcox

I have quite a few of 5 gal buckets right next to my plow (that i need to move to make room for my boat).

I remember other threads about my HH (thank you again Martincox) discussing bypassed FDC's and what not. I guess I will go back and do some re-reading about it and about how to bypass it.

Is yours bypassed Martin? Besides this issue i trully think your motor runs way better than mine.
Dave,

My FDC is bypassed, it's pretty simple to do and you can use my truck and 'copy'.

So far as better running, all rather subjective, lets get yours fixed and go on a nice long drive, these trucks need to be driven, blows the cobwebs out and burns off all the internal crud etc.

I can come over during the week, let me know which day you are shooting to work on it.

Cheers,

Martin.

dozer1

I think my first step would be to clean everything off, check the oil level, and look for the leak with the engine running.

That was what I was thinking too. Got a pressure washer (one with a burner on it preferably) Clean it up and watch closely. Try and determine if it is the front seal for sure. Also keep an eye on that oil level too like others have said. Making oil is a problem if you are doing it. If not, you got a leak that needs addressing. If it's the front seal, that is pretty straight forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks