• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front main seal??? Bad Leak!!!

plym49

Is it possible that as a result of all your HH adventures, a bunch of diesel ended up in the sump? The reason I ask is that I assume that now that your HH is fixed, you are driving the truck, and voila, this problem. I am always suspicious of simultaneous failures (or failures closely following each other). Usually, there is a connection. Having two completely independent failures on the same unit (the engine) so close together is kind of like winning the lottery - the odds are against it.

crazywelder72

While your at the parts store I would pick up some front shocks.
I noticed it is without shocks shortly after i purchased it. Due to the lift that was done, The top shock plates will not line up with the lower plates. I need to fabricate a new top plate that will project about 6" further forward than the stock one.

I have a pressure washer with a hot box at my home. I figure a few well placed squirts of brake clean will help me see a lot. I can bring it to a self serve car wash to clean the over spray that got on the axle and leafs.

Note to self.... Keep thanking everybody for their guidance and expertise. I swear I thought I was going to puke when I saw the mess today.

Martin, we will cruse I promise. I just would like to see if I can fabricate the new mounting bracket for my hydraulic rams on my steering and get a better steering wheel. :wink: She likes to wander a bit this way and that. I dont know how much worse it will get at highway speeds. I read in another thread about the bypass. should be easy as pie. I just hope the hose coming out of the final is long enough to reach the HH. But If you want to swing down again I am always here during the day.

First thing tomorrow I am going to check the dipstick, then I have a feeling I am off to napa for some oil and new canister filters.

I will let you all know as for a update.

aaron379

Thanks for the info. If I have to go as deep as Aaron did then so be it, but I will defiantly start with a oil change and bypassing the FDC. I know it takes 22 quarts , but wondering what the concessions is about what type of black gold to put back in.

Since I don't have one of those fancy vortex oil separator framitzy gigs, should I put what I drain back in the fuel tank?
If you do have to dig into it its not a hard job at all as long as you have the right tools

crazywelder72

plym49, I just saw your post. I hear what your saying and I don't know. The new HH really seemed to fix the starting issue. I dont know what the side affects of running the old HH would be.

crazywelder72

If you do have to dig into it its not a hard job at all as long as you have the right tools
If there is one thing I have is tools. Whether their the right ones who knows. I see the Specialty tools shown in the TM's but trying to identify which tools p/n goes to what description is a PIA in the TM's. The rest of the info seems to be wrote out in a pretty straight forward format.

aaron379

If there is one thing I have is tools. Whether their the right ones who knows. I see the Specialty tools shown in the TM's but trying to identify which tools p/n goes to what description is a PIA in the TM's. The rest of the info seems to be wrote out in a pretty straight forward format.
The only specialty tool you really need is a pulley puller... the crank pulley can be rough to get off and if you do have to take it all apart check the key but do not try to pry it out of anything because the timing gear holds it on too

crazywelder72

The only specialty tool you really need is a pulley puller... the crank pulley can be rough to get off and if you do have to take it all apart check the key but do not try to pry it out of anything because the timing gear holds it on too
Good insight. I have plenty of pullers on my shelf and have been know to make a few special ones in years past for my Triumph.

Flyingvan911

It is weird how the manifold heater can put fuel in the crankcase. It squirts fuel in to the intake manifold so you'd figure it would all burn up. I plugged my heater lines and have had no further change in my oil level.

crazywelder72

It is weird how the manifold heater can put fuel in the crankcase. It squirts fuel in to the intake manifold so you'd figure it would all burn up. I plugged my heater lines and have had no further change in my oil level.

I thought it had a separate pump (and igniter) that worked on its own switch. When I got this it was disconnected. After looking into it, it seemed that it was disconnected because it leaked when the switch was activated. Well either way, the fdc is my first workaround.

crazywelder72

Just thought i would give a little update. I drained about 11-12 gallons (45 quarts) form the pan today. Haven't done anything else. Too windy today. I got lucky tho, Napa had a sale running today on oil 5 gal bucket ends up costing $2.45 a quart.

Flyingvan911

Just thought i would give a little update. I drained about 11-12 gallons (45 quarts) form the pan today. Haven't done anything else. Too windy today. I got lucky tho, Napa had a sale running today on oil 5 gal bucket ends up costing $2.45 a quart.
That's a tad much. You should filter it and dump it into your fuel tank. I'd check for metal in the oil/diesel. That much diesel diluted the oil a bunch. On the other hand, your crankcase should be very clean.

Hottrodd789

Ifu have hydrolic. Ram steering is always going to wonder because there is no middle or off the ram rather pushing or pulling I hydrolic steering on my mud truck took took it down the high way u can't keep it straight and it wears the tires out fast

Boatcarpenter

Dave,
Wow, 45 quarts!
You may come out of this OK if your FDC was or is the source of the fuel in the pan.
You may not have blown the seal and it could be OK with the proper amount of oil in there.
Good Luck,
BC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks