• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front mounted spare and dumping

Nick

I have mounted the spare tire carrier Chris Case made for me mentioned in another thread. But now my M101 wont dump. I can tilt it by hand without the tire, brakes locked or not. But as soon as the tire is on, it wont tilt, brakes locked.

I know a Budd rim and NDT are heavy, but is it enough to not allow it to tilt? Does anyone else have a front mount that can still tilt.

What am I missing??

Nick

KsM715

Do you mean if you take the tire off the mount it will dump? or do you mean it would dump before you mounted the holder and spare tire? If I remember the pics I saw, the mount is bolted to both the box and the frame. Lets see some pics so we know what your working with.

Last edited:

Nick

It will dump with the mount in place, it only bolts to the box, and the box frame. There is a plate that bolts to the a-frame to support the tire, but it doesnt bolt to the bracket. So i noticed that the plate on the a-frame was hitting the electric junction box, and I notched it out. But. it still wont lift with the tire on it.

I canlift it without the tire, by hand, but cant lift it with the tire on. Are these really that balanced?

Attachments

KsM715

Might be. Can you lock the brakes and back up and force it to dump? (use a spotter just in case so you dont bend something)

Nick

I tried it with the brakes locked backing up while hooked to my truck, all it did was roll the tires. And the brakes are locked big time. As soon as I took the tire off, it tilted just fine. So Im guessing no dumping with the tire in place.

Guess its no big deal, dont plan to hafta use the dump alot, just kinda neat to say it can do it if i NEED to.

Nick

KsM715

Hmmm thats strange. I dont have a M101 but I have heard of guys dumping loads of dirt/gravel/split wood by locking the wheels and backing up. Those loads have to weigh more than the spare tire. if you have another spare tire/wheel combo (or something of similar weight) try hanging the spare on and putting the weight in the back end of the trailer (counter balance) and try backing and dumping. Just be ready if your weight falls out and the spare tire wants to slam the box back down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks