• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front pintle hook on M1008

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a great idea. I had a USAF M932 that was being used to move trailers around. When I got the truck, the pintle hitch had been removed from the front bumper, but the mount was still there.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck came out of HI and was a HI Air National Guard truck. I had it repainted by John Winslow, and he did a great job. But, unfortunately, he repainted the inside of both doors and painted over the HI AR NG stencil showing a patriot in a three pointed hat looking up at jets flying overhead. That was one of the coolest stencils I have ever seen.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, does not interfere, they are on the outside of the frame rails. everything here is on the inside. The frame has curves in it so i just stacked washers in the middle bolt to make up for the curve. I built my plate to go from the bumper to the front cross member so it is difficult to get the bumper back on. I have to take out the grill to get to the four bolts in the center of the bumper. I have black out lights on both sides so i have to take the front covers off the black out lights and then the grill will slide out between the hood and brush gard. It may be easier to make one that is in an H shape so there are holes to get your hands through to get to the bumper bolts.
my plate is thick and i used some thick angle to space the receiver down so that it lies just under the bumper. when looking at the picture, you can see the angle. The cross bars were actually peices of the plate i cut and made, not actual flat bar.

I have used it several times to pull my truck up onto a goose neck trailer (about 3 feet tall) with the winch. I have not used it to recover the truck from getting stuck because it has not been out yet to get stuck.
It is very strong

Do you have any additional pictures of the mount?
Drawings/measurements?

While I plan on only moving trailers around, I might go the route you took.
Never know when it’s strength might be needed.

B78C7FEE-5FA6-497A-B386-A3C62D9F0A5D.jpg

I’ve read in old post several guys installed this hitch.
Needed some modification if shackles were kept.
Easy bolt on if not.
Pricey, but not as time consuming as a custom build.

MarcusOReallyus

I'd say it's a pretty good price if it can be installed with no mods. I don't mind using longer bolts and spacers if that's needed. I'd rather not cut things.

See, Tinstar, when it's structural, I want it stock. :beer:

richingalveston

I can dig up more pictures. but the measurements are easy, it just goes rail to rail (inside) with about 1/4 inch of slop (1/8 inch each side) The reason you have to remove the bumper is because it slides in under the tie down bracket bolts. you have to slide it in from the front, the center bolts are actually in the center of the spring hanger brackets. The braces are welded to the plate about 2 inches in on each side so they do not hit the frame rails. There is about 1 inch of space in the front and back. not enough to get your hands through to bolt the bumper back on, this is why I have to do that from the top with the grill out.

you could use thinner plate, I had this plate already so the only thing I bought was the square tube. attached is pic from the front with bumper on. I made a thread here on ss about this, I will search to see if I can find it before searching through my pics.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks