• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Receiver Hitch

Similar to my rear set up, very minimal alteration to the vehicle. For the front all you have to do is add a front shackle mount to the under side of your bumper. This creates four points of attachment for regidity. I am working on building both front and rear set ups for sale here.
OK question, do you think you could put a mount for one of these? That would be the
perfect solution for me. I'd be able to quickly remove it, I have the spare shackle mounts and I'd be able to move a trailer.........this is full of win!
Pickup Truck Crane W/ Cable Winch & Other Pickup Cranes - Harbor Freight

Attachments

treeguy

How do you want to mount it? As a 2" insert? I don't think that would be a good idea, if you were lifting straight off the front it might be ok, but as soon as you pivot L/R you will be twisting on the 2x2 insert into the receiver and probably bend/destroy the crane to 2x2 connection. On the other hand, maybe a mount specifically for the crane that will use 4 shackle mounts on the front might work. And maby a 2" receiver underneath. But then you'd be commited to having the crane mounted if you just wanted to use the receiver. Unless there was a way to have a quick mount on the bottom of the crane to the rig I pictured above but with gussetting and cross bracing.

The crane is two piece and top lifts off, so worst case you'd just have to have the
base attached.

I wouldn't make it as an insert into the receiver, but a plate on top.

I think if you scratched your head you'd have no problems at all. That would be slick.....

treeguy

Right, gotcha. Can you send me some dimentions? I would need to know the size of the base footprint and if the crane needs any clearance around the back side. It looks like the part that slips off is at the top of the upright pole, so you'd have that pole sticking up all the time unless we all can think of some sort of quick disconnect rig.

I can send you dimensions and pictures if you'd like.
The upright pole/mount would not bother me.
If it was in the way you could simply unbolt it with your handy dandy air gun.
My truck has a winch so it would likely sit perfect.
But give me a day and I will get you any info you require.

treeguy

Well I'd start by mounting your shackle mounts under the bumper. You are going to need a spacer plate to fit where the rear two bolts go. You can use 1/4" x 5/8" diameter washers, but I made plates. If I can borrow a shackle mount from a friend maybe I can make up some plates just for this. You will also need longer bolts for this set up. Check my list in http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/64899-complete-deuce-winch-mounting-bolt-list.html for the size you'll need. The two for the very front ears can be cut flush at the nuts because the extra thread will get in the way of screwing in a regular shackle.

Well I'd start by mounting your shackle mounts under the bumper. You are going to need a spacer plate to fit where the rear two bolts go. You can use 1/4" x 5/8" diameter washers, but I made plates. If I can borrow a shackle mount from a friend maybe I can make up some plates just for this. You will also need longer bolts for this set up. Check my list in http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/64899-complete-deuce-winch-mounting-bolt-list.html for the size you'll need. The two for the very front ears can be cut flush at the nuts because the extra thread will get in the way of screwing in a regular shackle.
I added a winch to my Deuce so throwing the shackles on is no biggie.

Yep it may be heavy to install........but not near as heavy as trying to manhandle a 500 pound gen set or air compressor or whatever around the yard or into or out of vehicles.
Probably be pretty easy to build a wooden platform to set it on while you threw the pins in.
Or probably the easiest would just be a block and tackle, hoist it up and install pins.
I think getting it on and off in the yard would be the easy part.

Last edited:

hdmax

Now, that is a very nice front hitch! Out of the way, yet very usable.
Here's what I did. Posted full build photos on a thread somewhere here. It bolts to the frame with two existing holes per side plus one drilled hole.

I wanted it for moving trailers around the yard, needed to be tucked up out of the way, and I wanted to be able to haul a small dirt bike in a hitch carrier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks