• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front rotor removal

jag7720

How do I get the front rotors off the hub? I pulled every thing off the spindle and looked at the TM but it really doesn't shay/show how to get the rotor off.

Mine seems to be press onto the hub has the lugs going through it.

Help

Attachments

scrambled

If you don't have a brass hammer, thread a lug nut on a few threads before you hit the studs. To beat them back in, i set the hub face on a board and drive the studs from behind with a hammer and punch. I have friends who press them in, but I have never had a stud come loose,

rlwm211

I have pulled studs in with a good impact gun. As far as getting them out, you need to thread the lug nut on the length of the nut so the stud does not stick out, but you have engaged most all of the threads in the nut. I would use a steel block, or chunk on the end of the stud to take the impact of the hammer. Hit straight on and once the spline clears the hub, it should drive out pretty easy.

Question...did you investigate getting your rotor turned instead of taking the HUB/ROTOR apart? That could save you a lot of aggravation and money as well.

RL

1stDeuce

Question...did you investigate getting your rotor turned instead of taking the HUB/ROTOR apart? That could save you a lot of aggravation and money as well.

RL

This is the right question. These trucks do not have disposable garbage rotors like trucks do now. That rotor looks really good, and has plenty of material left for a turning to true it up if it's in need. Any good auto parts store (NAPA, CarQuest, etc) should be able to turn those for you for CHEAP and save you the hassle of taking them apart.

C

jimm1009

If you ARE going to get the rotor turned, don't remove it from the hub.
They will want it installed on the hub with the outer races of the bearings installed as well.
It's very hard to find somone to turn the rotor once it is removed from the hub.

jimm1009

jag7720

I got them apart with a brass punch. I thought about turning them, but that can be a bit more work too... especially if they get shavings in the bearing area and/or ruin the seal. plus it would be two more trips to the parts store.

Not sure of the quality of the new rotors but they seem pretty hefty.

I'll keep the old ones and put a coat of oil on them for spares.

jimm1009

I recommend taking the time to clean, inspect, and repack your bearings on the front hubs since you have at least one of them off right now.
This is something that is supposed to be done each 10,000 miles anyway so if you do it now then you know that you are good for 10,000 miles more.
Good luck and have fun with your CUCV.
jimm1009

bronconut

when ever we took these types of hub rotos off we always repacked the bearings and replaced the seal, cheap ins. and that seal is prob. ready to be replaced any ways

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks