• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Shocks

Loose Deuce

I think I may have the wrong type front shocks, or the wrong rubber bushings. the shocks fit loose because the rubber bushings are not large enough to swell out when tightened. Its easy enough to correct but I wanted to replace the shocks anyway. Does anyone know a cross ref. number for a replacement? I cant find any NOS surplus shocks, and I have my doubts if they do any good anyway. :roll: :roll:

Dieselsmoke

Monroe, but dammit I can't find what I did with the flippin number. They make a nice gas shock in that size that works well....gotta paint them though, they come in yellow and blue. I'll look for that damn number.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaf springs have built-in damping by the friction between the leafs. The shocks are needed to dampen higher frequency vibration only. The front shocks on the deuce are double acting and have approx the following ratings (rebound/compression) : 320/170 in lb of force. A suitable Gabriel number is 83400.
Never lubricate leaf springs, that would effect the damping.

Westech

CPL
yes monroe !! I have them on my deuce I just put them on!! OMG what a huge help. No more chopping front tires, does not want to flip ove in a corner but I dont think I have the number I will try to find it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The p/n 83400 is in the Gabriel "2003 Gabriel Commercial Ride Control products".
There are other ones that may need slight enlargement of the mounting holes, such as #83102.
I had the number crossed to a Monroe, I think and I picked a bit higher ratings to compensate for the 11.00x20 tires. I'll check the deuce later today. I know I had to bore out the mounting holes some and the rubber mounts were larger than the mil issue.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked the shocks on the deuce and they are ArvinMeritor (Gabriel parent company), made in Canada, p/n T112-7SA.
I gave the store a Gabriel number, don't know which, 83102, 83103, 83400 or 83456 and they crossed it to the ArvinMeritor. The mounting holes had to be enlarged, I used a reaming tool and it turned out to be an easy job.

They look good and seem to be doing their job. With the new shocks and the rear stub axle removed, the tires look almost new after 6,000 miles on the highway since installed last year.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So do the Monroe 66903's require enlarging the mounting bracket opening? I'd prefer not to do that........I'd like a quality civvy gas shock that bolts up......

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So whats the bottom line on replacement shocks? Civy ones are fine, I'll enlarge a hole or 2 if I have to.... The savings on the 9.00 x20 tires is well worth it. Whats a good part # I can get at the auto parts shop?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armada, the shocks will dampen high frequency vibrations and may not be the culprit in this case. The major cause of tire scrubbing is the fact that the rear axles are coupled together without a differential. They will push the truck straight forward and fight the steering effort, duals more than singles.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the monroe gas magnums. I'd have the read the shock to get the #. But man what a difference. Cupping of the front tires stopped.