• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Springs - No Idea where to post this

MrArmyAnt

I'm driving from Norman, OK to Peoria, IL around June 6th then back the 12th. I need front springs and hangers badly! I didn't know if the classifieds would get the exposure needed. I'm surprised someone isn't producing hangers that works like the front hangers yet for trailer springs.

Also if these were produced would people be interested?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Short of finding a deuce that is being parted out you can use m105 springs and order the stock hangers from Memphis or one of the other usual suspects.

Memphis is proud of their stuff but usually has what you need.

There may be a MV boneyard on your route that someone knows about.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little bit of time Googling for M35a2 front springs, and you'll probably find about 5-6 retail MV shops selling them for various prices.

Why do you need them so badly? Did you break yours?

MrArmyAnt

I bobbed my deuce and am not wanting to run trailer brackets. Eventually a 4 link is in order but until then I don't want 4 inch blocks in the suspension. Blocks make springs very ineffective. And my deuce is pretty much done except for the springs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think blocks and and springs are more effective than your current setup. Lose the overloads and M105 springs are 99% identical to a deuce front spring. Another stop gap measure is to use the M105 frame, boxed, under your deuce frame. Changing it anyways!

MrArmyAnt

On suspension geometry and axle wrap blocks are a no-no. While it's fine for a lot of people it isn't for me, it move the rotation of the axle away from the spring. This is why many jeeps and such have the axle above the spring. It keeps the loads of the axle wanting to rotate instead of the tires in as strong a place as possible. The larger the blocks under a leaf the more leverage the wandering axle has. And of course one can put in all kinds of links to prevent this, but if you are going that far it might as well be a proper designed four link.

Also I heard while almost identical (number of leaves) is the same the thickness is different? Also I dont like paying 80 dollars for u bolts which is what they charge here.

Also part 2, I realize when you said current setup you meant not running. I'm a dumb ass :p But I'm leaving the block explanation anyway :jumpin:

wehring

Springs

I have front spring kits ready to go. The rivets have been removed and they have been primed and painted. I am in Houston.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

KsM715

If its just a short term thing until you get the link susp. in there, just cut the trailer frame 6" in front of the front and 6" behind the rear spring hangers and put the trailer frame under the deuce frame. I few of us run it that way, my self included, and its fine. Mine has not been in any serious off road situation yet and I check it before every drive and have had no issues yet.

Attachments

Cleptomaniac

If you must have front springs i would try Browns Military Veh. in Binger OK. He will have some.
But I think the trailer springs work fine. Have been running them for months and no prob. Including axle wrap. Yesterday I broke an axle shaft and transfer case and the springs and lift blocks held up great but thats up to you.

Danny

MrArmyAnt

It's not that the springs can't handle the abuse, it's the poor handling and characteristics to it. I mean I could bolt the axle to the frame, and that would work and be plenty strong, but the ride would be crap :) I called Browns and he was very proud of his springs. His springs are half of what I paid for my whole deuce.

But on another note where did you get your trailer?

MrArmyAnt

Well if anyone has front springs yet or a cheap trailer let me know. Brown wants 310 and I have to get u-bolts and considering that a used deuce can be had for around 1100, and I can get other parts off it and a crap load of scrap, there is no way springs should be 30% of the value of the vehicle.

frodobaggins

Well if anyone has front springs yet or a cheap trailer let me know. Brown wants 310 and I have to get u-bolts and considering that a used deuce can be had for around 1100, and I can get other parts off it and a crap load of scrap, there is no way springs should be 30% of the value of the vehicle.

Maybe a year ago you could get a deuce that cheap. :jumpin:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Individual parts are usually worth a whole lot more than whole truck as you have found out. The issue with Brown's is that he has the parts and you don't...and he knows it...;-)

I haven't seen any $1000 Deuces around OKC in quite awhile. Even the junkers at Goldsby have been going high.

Your best bet is finding a parts truck and using parts off of it. Only issue is storage.

Last edited:

MrArmyAnt

That's what I figured. My Junker is from Goldsby and I paid too much lol. I think that offroad part in Lexington would store it for 20 a month which would let me get enough parts off of one. Also people out there would probably want a lot of the parts I don't need (like axles). Anyone know of any parts trucks anywhere?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if you find a $1100 parts truck would you sell extra parts based on what you paid for it or based on what the parts are worth? I sell complete bob kits with all the parts for $300 and they seem to sell quick when I list them at that price. Just because someone finds a deal on a truck doesn't mean they are going to pass their good deal on to you.

MrArmyAnt

So if you find a $1100 parts truck would you sell extra parts based on what you paid for it or based on what the parts are worth? I sell complete bob kits with all the parts for $300 and they seem to sell quick when I list them at that price. Just because someone finds a deal on a truck doesn't mean they are going to pass their good deal on to you.

A complete bob kit for 300 is considerably less than what he is selling them for. Its 90 dollars and some tax for u bolts for most of the places I called around here.

And what I do for profit and what I want to pay something are completely different and yes I'm possibly a hypocrite when it comes to this. However when a truck can be bought for less than 2k, and axles can be sold for 2k, everything additional is profit. Motor, Transmission, T-Case, 40 bucks for bumperettes (really? wth is that about), a hard top (only thing that might actually be worth where supply and demand has put the price). Your example of would I doesn't really work... Almost everyone wants the best price possible unless they have enough disposable income to make up for it... (sorry this bothers me as economics is my field of study)

Anyway, on a related and more on topic note, link me to your kit! Wonder what shipping would be.

I've thought about fabbing mounts out of angle iron and c channel that would be reinforced for spring mounts and just getting trailer springs. I need to do some FEA first thought. If I did that I think it would fit a huge hole in people having to either do block lifts (ew) or pay outrageous prices for springs.

MrArmyAnt

If it's in Illinois I'm going to go slam my head in the door. I was just in Peoria for a week at Caterpillar for the SAE mini baja competition.

M1075

I have complete sets of springs and hardware here in OKC that I am using for 4x4 conversions. If you get in a pinch and can't find any others, you can have a set for $475 (what I have in them).

PS. If you start scrapping out deuces, put me down for 10 sets of springs and hardware @ $250. That is a lot cheaper than what I pay now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks