• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front suspension mods AKA - ride improvement mods AKA - butt happiness mods

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my trucks. My arse ... not so much. (I mean, I love it, but it doesn't like my trucks ride)

For me, mostly, 80% of the time, these trucks are a novelty, not a 5-10 ton workhorse.

The suspension is plenty stiff on them. Has anyone taken a couple springs out and put in airbags? I'd be game to try it, if it has been done with good results.

Most big truck airbags can replace the suspension lost if you did remove some springs, right? If I did have a full load and needed my suspension back.

While we are on the subject of air bags. I'm looking at the drivers seat and wondering why can't I just remove that spring and put a $50 replacement air bag in there. One meant for a pickup. I don't like the price of a full air ride seat. It has a shock absorber, so all it lacks is an air bag right? I can install a valve, gauge and nozzle to bleed it off.

Talk to me. I may be young ... ish, but my back and spine are definitely not young at all. A few more surgeries, and I'll be more titanium, and less flesh and bone.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Air bags do nothing to help. Profo did it on his camper and it still feels like the front end is going fall apart on some pot holes or hardly hold the wheel. He is onto the next step of just having softer springs made for the front end. He put a camera out under his fender well without air bags and with the air bag installed and said that the spring never even moves cause it is so stiff.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that's why I recommended removing some springs and then adding a bag. You have to soften it before your bags do a thing. This way, you control how firm the front suspension is.

I thought about removing a spring or three and cutting out the centers with a torch, or cutting out circles, cutting slots, or "x's" basically anything to render the spring useless, but retained the height by reinserting them (or just add blocks to raise it for every spring removed). Then use your air bags to adjust the ride and suspension. You can still stiffen it up if you are loaded heavy.

Can anyone tell me why it wouldnt work? Other than ruining a spring or two.

Csm Davis

Yes on both air bag questions, if you will search on here someone has already replaced the seat springs with air bags. Also Profo has added the bags as Simp said but last time I asked I thought he had found a sweat spot for them and liked it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

grendel

I have a volvo front air ride I may add to mine, once I get all figured out... MRAP springs also may work decently.

Thing is, there is not much clearance between the axle and oil pan to drop spring height.

I did air ride the rear of mine, when I bobbed it. I used a Peterbuilt Air Leaf, so I kept all the load handling.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thing is, there is not much clearance between the axle and oil pan to drop spring height.
Yeah, that's why I was going to render springs useless by cutting, or put in blocks in their place. Or ... I COULD PUT A LIFT KIT ON IT!!!

someoldmoose

Agree with yes to both. Suspension, lots of engineering and work but can DEFINITELY be done. Quicker solution (if you haven't already), drop your air pressure to as low as safe (check with chalk line across the tread). Even with bags it's still a B A T ( big ass truck ) and will NEVER ride like a 50's Oldsmobile but it can be improved.

The seat. That's an EASY one. Have seen several threads on here about that exact thing. I think I even saw a kit ( don't remember where ) with the bag, brackets, and re-calibrated dampener (shock absorber). If your handy with a torch and welder it's probably an afternoon project after you have the seat out.

Good luck and Happy Motoring !

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a thread. Got a part number. Ordered a bag. $66 with shipping. Will see how it all works out.

Im pretty good with metal working.

I build unique, "specific use" trailers for fun. Last one was a Wild Hog hauling trailer with built in ramp, light enough to be pulled by an ATV. (We have pig problems here) Current one is an adventure trailer with Timbren independent suspension on 33" tires, which may be getting some MRAP toolboxes on it. Not sure yet. It's going to be an interesting one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter how you engineer a "softer" suspension, you still need to suspend 10 tons.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter how you engineer a "softer" suspension, you still need to suspend 10 tons.
True, and a good point, but, it is done every day with other trucks. Isn't this trucks suspension "overbuilt" to a certain extent? There was little thought for comfort in designing the final product, it needed to be tough. It is. A commercial driver has a choice if he is buying his own rig, or rigs for his employees. So, they make them softer, while still tough.

Point is, I think it can be done and increase or maintain the needed performance.

One of the main points was to swap the current setup, for a more forgiving, but capable, suspension. Air bags should take the place of softer or fewer springs.

Should.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Most military stuff is not overbuilt. Compare the tie rod ends of a HMMWV vs an H1. Its scary. Same thing with trucks in the 5 ton class. Plus safety isn't really a factor into suspensions vs that of the civilian market.

Remember....

https://youtu.be/CuAUE58MQt4

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

Just please remember that anything you do to a vehicle driven on public roadways must meet FEDERAL D O T STANDARDS - ESPECIALLY on something that MIGHT get inspected by a friendly member of the Interstate Commerce Commission's ( Federal Commercial Vehicle ) agents or their designees ( State Police, State DOT inspectors. etc. ). It will be on YOU to prove that it meets such standards and "Well, I thought it looked good" won't cut it. AND no it doesn't matter if you are using the vehicle for commercial gain or not ( at least in PA ) if the single vehicle GVW is over 12,001 it MAY be inspected at any time. Also, the inspectors take their jobs VERY seriously, as well they should.

Good luck and Happy Motoring!

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just please remember that anything you do to a vehicle driven on public roadways must meet FEDERAL D O T STANDARDS - ESPECIALLY on something that MIGHT get inspected by a friendly member of the Interstate Commerce Commission's ( Federal Commercial Vehicle ) agents or their designees ( State Police, State DOT inspectors. etc. ). It will be on YOU to prove that it meets such standards and "Well, I thought it looked good" won't cut it. AND no it doesn't matter if you are using the vehicle for commercial gain or not ( at least in PA ) if the single vehicle GVW is over 12,001 it MAY be inspected at any time. Also, the inspectors take their jobs VERY seriously, as well they should.

Good luck and Happy Motoring!
If thats the case in Pennsylvania then no A1 or A2 or any truck with military beadlock wheels can be driven on the road legally or pass inspection. Not to mention the tires are out of date that we usually use. Quite honestly a brand new truck off the lot can fail a DOT inspection if the officer is a pain.

The inspection being done on a privately owned vehicle falls into a grey area. He can plain view inspect all he wants the minute he wants to look inside of some thing its over. Toolboxes, cab, especially fuel tanks. Dipping a tank requires consent, probable cause, or a warrant if you are a private individual since the contents of it arent in plain site even though the tank may be.

First rule of thumb when dealing with any LEO is to stand up for yourself dont just take their word for it. They may be the ones out there enforcing the law but unfortunately 95 percent of them don't know a thing about it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mos68x

Just for the record, while each individual truck vary slightly, and will change with the load carried, the weight on the front axle is about 5tons and most of that is from the engine. I have the 6CTA8.3 so mine was 9,840 lbs exactly but that was when it was just a cab & chassis. I haven't weighed it again since CSM Davis put the bed on it for me but I'll bet money that it'll be slightly lighter than before. The more weight in the rear (directly over the rear axle) will lighten the front axle, more so when weight is loaded aft of the rear axle. However if your cargo is loaded forward of the rear axle you will gain some weight ion the front axle. No matter what you do and if you lighten up the front axle rating by modifying the springs I would strongly suggest adding a lift block of some sort or you may risk damaging the oil pan with increased suspension travel.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just for the record, while each individual truck vary slightly, and will change with the load carried, the weight on the front axle is about 5tons and most of that is from the engine. I have the 6CTA8.3 so mine was 9,840 lbs exactly but that was when it was just a cab & chassis. I haven't weighed it again since CSM Davis put the bed on it for me but I'll bet money that it'll be slightly lighter than before. The more weight in the rear (directly over the rear axle) will lighten the front axle, more so when weight is loaded aft of the rear axle. However if your cargo is loaded forward of the rear axle you will gain some weight ion the front axle. No matter what you do and if you lighten up the front axle rating by modifying the springs I would strongly suggest adding a lift block of some sort or you may risk damaging the oil pan with increased suspension travel.
It is against the law in a lot of states and very unsafe to use ANY lift blocks on the front axle. Unless you just want it to snap off and the whole front of the truck laying all over the highway. But some folks are adventurous.

Mos68x

You can debate that with the millions of 4x4's that use them legally. If I were to do as the OP asked and for some reason it HAD to be the suspension to change then I would massively over-engineer anything I did to it. But if it were me, I would change the seat and the cab to air-ride instead.

someoldmoose

simp, I agree with your first two points. That's why a lot of people here know it as Pennsyltuckey. I don't make (or agree with) some of the laws, but that doesn't relieve me from abiding by them. I had to sit "out of service" for hours waiting for Penske because they put a drive tire on the inside rear of a lease truck with a "blow out patch" on it. Made NO money that day.

As for dealing with L E, I respectfully disagree with what you say. The BEST, although NOT the most convenient, way to deal with them is to be respectful, and disciplined. If you disagree with any citations or warnings, take a hearing. Giving the L E O an education is rarely effective. Just my opinion, no disrespect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks