• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front suspension sag, 10k half shafts

erasedhammer

Two questions I have:

I have determined that the front suspension is sitting 1 inch lower than normal (15in).
What are my options in helping fix this (vehicle curb weight is 5800 lbs)?
(I was thinking suspension spacers or m1114/1113 springs+new shocks?)

I am thinking of upgrading half shafts because I put a lot of abuse on them off road, and I want to help extend their life. I'm not too interested in modifying brakes to fit 12k, so I think 10k should by fine.
Are the 10k shafts bolt in replacements for the a0 a1 shafts?

Jakob1944

Check your tire pressure.....check to see that you have radial tires and not bias

yes the 10.3 K half shafts will fit "A1" and earlier machines with no modification.....s-l1600 (2).jpg

These are the ones I bought for my machine to use as a spare.....my machine is a 1994 M998a1

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Check your tire pressure.....check to see that you have radial tires and not bias

yes the 10.3 K half shafts will fit with no modification.....View attachment 674621

These are the ones I bought for my machine to use as a spare.....my machine is a 1994 M998a1
I definitely have radials. BFGoodriches.
I found some great deals ($500) for 10k shafts but I don't know if they are the older or newer kinds. The seller says they are new from AMG.

Jakob1944

new but the earlier version!CBrYnkw!Wk-$(KGrHqUOKjUE0Qzk!5PBBNIn2Ib9qg--_1.jpg

Check out the difference between both of the photos I sent you.......the shafts in the other photo have bigger components but will fit with no problem.....

The later ones which I did not send a photo of are for the newer "2" series Humvee and up armored.....will not fit yours or mine.....to the best of my knowledge neither will the suspension......but some other members could shed better light on the subject of Later issued Suspension Components.......

As for your vehicle height check AM General's book that they have out on the M998a1 vehicle....

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only reason for front end sag is worn springs...I have for sale adapters that allow the use of 12k halfshaft on 10k flanges and rotors, you will have to change out your upper spur gear to allow for the heavy shaft.

erasedhammer

new but the earlier versionView attachment 674632

Check out the difference between both of the photos I sent you.......the shafts in the other photo have bigger components but will fit with no problem.....

The later ones which I did not send a photo of are for the newer "2" series Humvee and up armored.....will not fit yours or mine.....to the best of my knowledge neither will the suspension......but some other members could shed better light on the subject of Later issued Suspension Components.......

As for your vehicle height check AM General's book that they have out on the M998a1 vehicle....
So heavy duty 3000 lb springs can't be used on an m998?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not want 3k spring in an M998...those are only for M11XX trucks...up armored.
standard spring for most trucks is the 954lb spring...UOC for the 954lb spring covers the M998,m1038, M1037 and so forth. I installed 1250lb springs in my M1097 with milemarker winch, its rock solid, drives like crappy now, it raised the front end up easily 2in or more. It's not uncommon for the springs to sag in these old truck.

erasedhammer

You do not want 3k spring in an M998...those are only for M11XX trucks...up armored.
standard spring for most trucks is the 954lb spring...UOC for the 954lb spring covers the M998,m1038, M1037 and so forth. I installed 1250lb springs in my M1097 with milemarker winch, its rock solid, drives like crappy now, it raised the front end up easily 2in or more. It's not uncommon for the springs to sag in these old truck.
Considering that hitting a bump in my truck currently feels like a punch to the jaw, ill stay away from the 3k spring.
The ones on epay are for the m1038 and are rated for 1900 lbs... which I assume is the one normally used in the m998?

I am putting in a mile marker winch in the next week, if I put in the m1038 spring will that give the little added stiffness to account for the weight of the winch?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering that hitting a bump in my truck currently feels like a punch to the jaw, ill stay away from the 3k spring.
The ones on epay are for the m1038 and are rated for 1900 lbs... which I assume is the one normally used in the m998?

I am putting in a mile marker winch in the next week, if I put in the m1038 spring will that give the little added stiffness to account for the weight of the winch?

Read my post...954lb spring are what's in an M1038. Your only going to know after the fact if you like the ride of adding snow plow springs, which IIRC are the 1250lb spring. The winch is not that heavy..

erasedhammer

Read my post...954lb spring are what's in an M1038. Your only going to know after the fact if you like the ride of adding snow plow springs, which IIRC are the 1250lb spring. The winch is not that heavy..
I'm just going off of what the epay seller said. The listing was a 1900lb spring pulled off a m1038.
I would assume they are getting the 1900 by dividing the 7700 GVWR by 4....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just going off of what the epay seller said. The listing was a 1900lb spring pulled off a m1038.
I would assume they are getting the 1900 by dividing the 7700 GVWR by 4....

Ok...first of all, the only way you buy parts is via part numbers or NSN's, then cross reference those numbers with the 24p and look at the UOC code for that parts application, listening to some eBay lister might not be the wisest choice....but hey, its your money.

tage

I picked up some snow plow springs out in Barstow for my humvee. Was under a 100$ for nos.
Haven't installed them yet since I won't be home till next year. So I can't say if I like them or not.

Look at the online comparison with the part numbers so that you know what you're getting. Not all springs will be plug and play.

ryanruck

Have you considered spring spacers?

There is a seller on eBay selling 2" kits (front or rear) for $100.

I know someone on here who installed that kit up front to fix his suspension sag and he's pretty happy with it. Said it rides well. I saw the pics of his truck and it leveled it out quite nicely. I'm considering the same for my truck since I'm starting to get a bit of sag with the extra weight from a winch and Ibis Tek bumper (with recovery gear inside).

erasedhammer

Have you considered spring spacers?

There is a seller on eBay selling 2" kits (front or rear) for $100.

I know someone on here who installed that kit up front to fix his suspension sag and he's pretty happy with it. Said it rides well. I saw the pics of his truck and it leveled it out quite nicely. I'm considering the same for my truck since I'm starting to get a bit of sag with the extra weight from a winch and Ibis Tek bumper (with recovery gear inside).
Yes I saw those spacers.
I was a little hesitant about that since the existing spring would still be in a weakened state. But as I will be adding a mile marker and I already have the grill armor I might consider those in addition to new NOS 954 springs.

erasedhammer

The only reason for front end sag is worn springs...I have for sale adapters that allow the use of 12k halfshaft on 10k flanges and rotors, you will have to change out your upper spur gear to allow for the heavy shaft.
I just took another measurement on both the front and rear suspension, this time on the flattest peice of concrete I could find. I have different numbers this time.

Front is sitting at 17in, but the wheels still have negative camber! Both ball joints are tight and the wheel has no free movement on the spindle.
Rear is sitting at 20 in. I thought this was pretty high and I can't imagine this can be good for the half shafts being at that angle. Any thoughts?

The vehicle isn't all that unloaded, I took a trip to a weigh station and curb weight of the vehicle is 5900 lbs. The extra 520 lbs most likely came from supp armor, hood armor, and misc insulation...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look in the TM, I do believe the aceptable dimensions are in there and tell you how and where to measure.
sagging could also be worn A-arm bushing...when I'm done doing a ground up build, my trucks sit really high.
im sure allot has to do with the trucks not being loaded down when the control arms are tightened to the buckets.
another reason I wait till the truck is fully built before I tighten them fully and after a drive or 3.
using spacers is masking a known issue...worn springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks