• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front wheel bearing change?

treysoucie

NOOB here!

so i pull into my driveway today and my front left wheel is smoking like crazy and i have brown grease ozzing out. Im assuming the wheel bearing is shot? i've never changed a wheel bearing on anything before much less a deuce any and all help would be greatly appreciated. which tools do i need? what type of jack are you guys using to lift the front end on these things? also what else should i change once i have the wheels off? also where can i get parts and how much am i looking at spending?

KsM715

I hope you guys dont take this the wrong way, its not intended as an insult. But you guys that havent done much mechanical maint. sure do pick a big vehicle to start on. But on the other hand it is a great learning tool. Its simple, just bigger, and its gonna need alot of maint to keep it roadworthy. Its not like you can just roll into the local qwik-lube and toss them the keys and get an oil change. (Although I'd like to try it with the M818 just to see the look on the kids that work there.)

Heavysteven

You will have toull the hub off and find out what went wrong. Wheel bearing probally.

I use a 10 bottle jack and a safety jack stand to lift mine.

Once the wheels are off you should change the seals, boot, inspect the brakes, pack the bearings, clean the king pins, check every thing for play, and clean everything.

Parts are availible from ODIron or any of the other dealers.they sell a front axle rebuild kit for like $125. If the bearing are shot that will add to the price.

Took me 8 hours to the both sides of the front axle first time. I could do it now in 3 easily.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the responses contained useful info. One of the best is Clintos post where go to a page for a step by step of the repair. Best of luck on your repair.

BTW, you might want to do a search next time before posting. Thats what gets most of the 'oldies' agitated...although they are getting better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks