• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Wheel Drive

tx.fireman1525

Well i hate to admit it, but i got the duece stuck the other day. Well i am kinda new the the duece, and was just out getting familiar with it. Well long story short, i got it stuck and i noticed that the front tires were not turning. Do you have to lock the front wheels in on these, or are they full time all wheel drive?

Also one more question. This duece is equiped with a winch. Can someone more knowlegable than myself explain to me the correct way to use it( Before i tear something up!)

rdixiemiller

You need to download the operators manual from this site. It will give you a lot of very good information. I have been re-reading mine every few nights. There is a good section on winch use in this manual.
If your deuce has the airshift transfer case, you have to flip the little air switch under the dash to engage the front drive. If you have a sprag type case, you may need to replace the sprags.

hot rod deuce

Mine is on the bottom of the dash kinda looks like and after thought right by the heater controles and to the right of the steering shaft...remember not to flip it with the wheels spining.

As for the winch mine ate the cable the one time i was too lazy to use a snach block so that would be a good investment it cuts the cable stress by 1/2 but takes twice as long. There is a high and low that is very handy use low to pull and high to wind it up. Be care full in low, if you have it the motor wound up and pull it hard you will walk right through the gear box, my truck came with a busted winch that some one pulled so hard the worm year pushed out the side and took 1/2 the case with it. Try to pull strait (like thats ever possable in the woods) KEEP EVERY ONE BACK these truck have rotton cable many times and i never trust a cable i dont know...dont forget...LOWEST BIDDER, thats who built it so keep every one safe and get your head down when your pullin hard.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fireman. Real quick rundown on deuces. If you have the air engaged transfer case there will be a lever below the dash with a data plate. Throw the lever (obviously when not under power) and that will engage front drive. If you don't have the lever the case has an overrunnin clutch (sprag). keep in mind with this, you must use first gear first to insure that the correct (fwd or reverse) sprag is engaged. Thats the basics. As far as the winch,HRD made an EXCELLENT point. try to use a snatch block all the time. Saves on parts that cost money. There is a lever on the right side of the winch. Its only about 2" long. On older winches it's a round pull thingy. This is a drum lock for transport. Keeps the drum from spinning and unwinding the cable during transport operations. On the back side (right of the winch is a longer lever. This is to engage the drive mechanism on the winch. Some winches have a saftey latch at the base of this lever. It looks like a door hinge. This needs to be swung back to engage the drive lever. Once this is engaged, all powered winch operations are made inside the cab. Push in clutch, select the direction of the PTO and thats what the winch will do. I use low exclusively since I have more time than money. If you need to free spool cable do so before engaging the drive gear lever on the back (right) of the winch. For the most part, winching with one of these is a 2 man operation. Some folks try to operate the winch from the lever outside. This is a NO-NO, don't do it. If there is any load on the winch, you can't disengage it. I can operate mine alone but be very familair with it's operation before trying. I can't express enough how important it is to read the manuals, repeatedly. The operators manual can be downloaded from this site for free. Nobody reading this forum has an excuse for not having one once they are told about it.

Hey HRD, if somebody blew the side open on that winch. they must have used steel instead of the correct aluminum shear pin. Lots of folks curse the shear pin, I love the idea of having a sacrificial part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks