• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front winch on M936A2, need instructions I can't find on TM.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my dilemma, After reading the -10 I'm unclear on how to proceed. I don't want to bend or break anything.

1. Winch control lever is pulled back to the wind position, PTO engage lever is not engaged, can't move the winch control forward to neutral with engine off or on.
2. Clutch lever is pulled toward the drivers side(In) cannot move that either.
3. TM's don't make it clear which way drum lock is locked or free. Straight up and down locked? or unlocked?

Would like someone familiar with an A2 front winch to explain how to free the stuck winch control lever, without winding the the cable and chain in LOL.....

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know on the one I have used the cables had seized up and wouldn't engage anything. I don't remember which way the lever on the winch has to be, but there is usually a keeper down hard to see that keepsit disengaged unless flipped out of the way.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drum lock should be locked when it is riding in the low notch and unlocked when riding in the high notch. It's just a simple pin that need to be pulled out to unlock.

Naterik

On mine the lock pin is in the engaged position when the handle is up at 12 o clock, and disengaged when in the 3 or 9 o clock positions. I would imagine they are all the same.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nut with the slots can be indexed in any postition.

The key info is Pin in or out(of the drum)

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it, if the threaded bolt is further away from the drum its unlocked. Got the clutch lever out, but still the winch control is stuck on wind.