• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front winch won't free wheel. Advise needed . M 936A2

corvette9

Heres what I'm doing. Truck running ft pto engaged. Pull clutch lever out and drum lock off. Winch will not free wheel. I'm I wrong or doing something wrong? Winch works fine in and out with the lever in the cab. The clutch lever seems to be working. Just a good push with my hand will move the lever. I'm thinking the fork inside may be broke but I would think I would feel it in the way the clutch lever moves.

I worked the rear winch with the levers but have not tried to free wheel that one yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

tkgvz

Vette, get another person to help you but try moving the reel back and forth and the other person working the release lever. Just rock the reel back and forth while moving the lever. Hope that helps.

corvette9

I did read the TM. Thats why I'm not sure what is wrong. I hooked the chain to my fork lift and just put the fork lift in gear to see if that would turn the drum. I did not force it just let the fork lift idel. I'll try rocking it back and forth and see whats happens. As far as the rear winch I have only payed it out and back in with power. It worked fine. I have not tried to free wheel yet. It dose free wheel right? My M543 rear winch did but they where a diff. setup.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear Wrecker 45k winches CANNOT free spool. There is no clutch or disengage lever, so you have to turn the bull gear and worm gear, and anything attached.

I would NOT try to free spool the front winch while the truck is running and the PTO is engaged. There is always a slim chance of something happening and it start pulling and if you have your hands on the cable in the wrong place you will regret it. The release lever can be difficult to get to actually disengage. there is usually a flip over tab that keeps the lever from moving. Sometimes trying the lever, then rocking the winch with the pto, then trying the lever again can get it to disengage.

Last edited:

corvette9

It has been 30 years since I owned the M 543. I could not remember if the rear winch would free wheel or not. When I get a chance I will fool with the ft winch again. I will try it without the PTO on. I need to have the ft winch work right for what I want the truck to do. Thavks for all the advise.

Brian G.