• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Window Removal

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being new to the M37 (except driving them in the Army way back when) and lacking manuals at this time, I can't see how the front swing out windows (windshields) come off. I am taking the truck apart for painting this fall and the window frames need repairs. I did a search here and nothing came up.

AN/GRC-46

If you mean just the swing out windows, there are a row of screws at the top of each. Just take those out and the window falls right out. Disconnect the vacuum hoses to the wiper motors first.

If you mean the whole windshield frame and everything, just undo the big bolts at the hinge points, release the hold down locks inside the cab, disconnect the vacuum line at the driver's side hinge and Bob's Your Uncle. Get help - it's heavy.

AN/GRC-46

If you mean just the swing out windows, there are a row of screws at the top of each. Just take those out and the window falls right out. Disconnect the vacuum hoses to the wiper motors first.

If you mean the whole windshield frame and everything, just undo the big bolts at the hinge points, release the hold down locks inside the cab, disconnect the vacuum line at the driver's side hinge and Bob's Your Uncle. Get help - it's heavy.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I see the screws now. I was not opening the window far enough. Thanks Dave!

fasttruck

You need a 5/16" tool to get them out and hope they are not frozen to the point they shear off. I always put them back in with never seize min c ase it is necessary to get them out again in this life.

Bill W

My screws broke when I tried to remove the hinge so I unbent the little tab on the end of the pivot , extended the winshield all the way up and I was able to just slide them off the hinge plate (example below ) now I tried this on another M-37 that I was painting and was only able to get only one off but still easier then tapping new holes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Carter

TM-9 8030 says to remove the 2 locking pivot arms & wipers then bend the outer end (tab) of the upper hinge and slide the windshield out of the upper hinge, just like Bill stated.

Work it in and out until it slides freely and can be removed. I have also sprayed some penetrating on the parts while moving it back and forth to cut thru any rust that was restricting movement. I have done this many times and it always works., just be careful not to break the tab, pry carefully with a screwdriver or bend with pliers.

Carter
My M37 resto pix:
Carter's M37 Restoration pictures from military photos on webshots

M-37Bruce

TM-9 8030 says to remove the 2 locking pivot arms & wipers then bend the outer end (tab) of the upper hinge and slide the windshield out of the upper hinge, just like Bill stated.

Work it in and out until it slides freely and can be removed. I have also sprayed some penetrating on the parts while moving it back and forth to cut thru any rust that was restricting movement. I have done this many times and it always works., just be careful not to break the tab, pry carefully with a screwdriver or bend with pliers.

Carter
My M37 resto pix:
Carter's M37 Restoration pictures from military photos on webshots
I've done it both ways & the sliding of the hinge and opening the tab are by far the easiest!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks