• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frozen Diesel Fuel - OK to use ?

Amxhunter

I run a climatic test lab. the other day we tested some equipment that had a diesel generator on board with a large fuel tank. Unfortunately the client forgot to fill it with arctic diesel and after 24 hours at -25 the stuff solidified.

We re-warmed the unit, drained the fuel and replaced it with JP-8. But now i have about 50 gallons of regular diesel to "get rid of".

Any thoughts on if it's ok to run in the Deuce ? I'm already running a 80 - 20 mix of WMO and Tranny Fluid. Some Gas thrown in to thin the mix.

dittle

Why would it hurt it? I know that when civi diesels gel up all they do is put a chemical in the tanks to thin the gel out and then burn the stuff.

dragonwagon

Iv never seen diesel freeze , i assume you mean thickened or congelled . That dont hurt it any .

Product called heat prevents this issue or add kerosen will do the trick also . I dont bother until temps drop down to + 10 or lower , then even the so called treated fuel can be a problem .

Amxhunter

Iv never seen diesel freeze , i assume you mean thickened or congelled . That dont hurt it any .

Product called heat prevents this issue or add kerosen will do the trick also . I dont bother until temps drop down to + 10 or lower , then even the so called treated fuel can be a problem .

you ever been to -25 ? Yeah it will freeze. harder than Ice.

Standard Diesel starts to congeal at 15F . What is / was unknown is what happens when it gets warmed back up.

Sounds like I got some free Diesel !

blybrook

I'd add a bottle of Red additive (911) available from NAPA or Wally World (1 small bottle treats 200 gallons) and run it. I keep a bottle in my truck for when it gets to -40* and colder in my neck of the woods. Usually I'm OK with the white bottle for temps up to -60*.

I don't have a heated garage nor tank heaters, so it sits outside in that temperature all winter! I have yet to have any gelling or freezing problems.

You got some free fuel, enjoy!

zout

Actually yes I was stuck in a snow storm in Little America fuel stop in Wyoming back in 1979 - the wind chills hit below -50 degree's and they were talking nearly -70 wind chills.

I had also sat in Big Cabin Oklahoma and had to take a propane torch to the fuel lines to get the fuel moving - but still not frozen. The fuel systems on the tractor did not return warm fuel back then from the return side.

I rememebr sticking gasoline in the fuel to thin and used anti gel fueling additives back then as well.

As in the latter - getting to the truck stop running in -50 degree wind chill was colder yet - I am no engineer nor scientist or even a really smart guy - but it was cold as a witch's T**.

Even running running out the West side of Wolf Creek Pass across the divide was beyond cold.

Just stick some PowerService additive in the fuel you have in case there is any moisture in it and GO.

dragonwagon

you ever been to -25 ? Yeah it will freeze. harder than Ice.

Standard Diesel starts to congeal at 15F . What is / was unknown is what happens when it gets warmed back up.

Sounds like I got some free Diesel !
Yep Northern Mi sees - 25 on rare occasion , never seen it freeze solid . News to me . Perhaps it takes a number of days that cold !

Heres some facts on it . Diesel dont freeze unless it is done in a lab .

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_freezing_point_of_diesel

Last edited:

wdbtchr

It's not really freezing in the sense of water freezing. What it's doing is dropping below the flock point. That's the point the parafin in diesel drops out of solution and forms a solid. Additives work by lowering the flock point, or warm it up and get it back above the flock point.

I've done waste veg oil by letting it drop below the flock point in the winter(put a bottle of veg oil in the refrigerator over night so see) and draining the liquid through a fairly coarse strainer just tight enough to trap the wax(or parafin). Much easier than going through the hassel of making bio-diesel and getting rid of the waste products.2cents