• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frozen rear ujoint - tricks to freeing it?

I_Publius

I am working at the moment on replacing my rear ujoint on my m1009.

I have tried every trick I know of and it is not popping out. Can anybody suggest any other way to unfreeze the old one, so I can put in the new one tonight?

I currently have it in a vice grip and am trying to pound out with a socket and sledgehammer. It is not coming out.

Any better tricks?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381541489.826763.jpg

Nuke113

Wow never seen a vise break like that, never had one stuck that bad only thing I can think of is heat it up and try a bigger hammer. Best of luck to you.

DieselBob

Just a thought. But if that is the original “U” joint than GM used a injected plastic to lock it in place. A dead give away is the fact that there is no internal or external clip to remove. The only way to remove them is to heat each ear of the yoke enough to soften the plastic and press/drive it out while the plastic is still soft.

DieselBob

Nothing to fancy. A plain old butane/MAP torch will do. Heat it just enough that the plastic starts to ooze from the injection holes and you should be able to drive/press it out.
Yoke.jpg

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the originals have the plastic injected into them to make them stay,
How do you get the replacements to stay? I am assuming that they are made so you can use the
ones with the insertable clips, right?
Bruce

misupratwin

The little nubs sticking out each side of the ears is the nylon. At my shop we just heat them with a torch, the nylon inside will melt and ooze out. Don't get it to hot or t
he grease will blow a cap off.

Firefox, the new u joint will use inside clips to hold it together. when the u joint is installed there will be a groove in the cap that will be on the inside, the little c clips will snap in and hold it.

Last edited:

Skinny

The replacements have clips on the inside of the joint cap. Use heat and a hammer, impacts to the joint work best. DO NOT use a press. You will end up bending the ears or busting the shaft. I have a very fancy snap-on ujoint press...never used it. Never something I recommend but a BFH and some junk sockets are the best methods.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought. But if that is the original “U” joint than GM used a injected plastic to lock it in place. A dead give away is the fact that there is no internal or external clip to remove. The only way to remove them is to heat each ear of the yoke enough to soften the plastic and press/drive it out while the plastic is still soft.
Forgot about GM doing that with the plastic .