• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frustrated with starting MEP003a engine

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have 2 MEP003a gensets. Been working on their ONAN engines for 3 weeks and can`t get them to fire. Replaced injectors with new ones from "SURPLUS MAN" in Calif. Checked them out before installing. Rebuilt IP on one with new gasket set and replaced plunger guide. Has a #14 button in it. The IP`s are simple to overhaul which mainly just involves disassembly and inspection and replacing any broken parts like the plunger guide. AMBAC parts are available from A TURBO DIESEL & ELECTRIC store. But extremely expensive. Manuals are available on Google. Bought a starter off EBay ($165) which turned out to be a very light weight starter and will overheat real quick when spinning the engine. I`m getting smoke from the exhaust when trying to start the engines but no fire at all. I`ve propped the solenoid open so the fuel is not shut off when trying to start. Noted the timing groove on the IP before installing on the engine along with timing mark on flywheel. Normally all a diesel engine needs for starting is fuel and an IP, but these two needs something else which I can`t figure out. Both engines are reacting the same way. Has anyone out there had similar problems with MEP 003a engines?

Would appreciate any help and advice
Thanks
Private Buttweet

54reo

Mine tends to be quite cold natured, even with warm ambient temps (i.e. requires use of pre-warmer).

Lots of fuel smoke and no start if I don't first use the pre-warm step.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for responding . I pre-heat, but maybe not long enough. Will try for a minute or two and see if that helps. Have Have a third MEP 003a that starts w/o a lot of pre-heat.
Thanks

steelandcanvas

If my 003 sits for a few months, she will be stubborn trying to start her. I've found opening the bleed screws on the filter housings until fuel comes out, seems to persuade her to start. I pre-heat for about 45 seconds.

R Racing

Mine is stuborn as heck !! I had to give it a shot of either when it was 78 out to get it to fire up. I just replaced my glow plugs and harness( it was burned up when I bought it) and need to try it with the glow plugs without the either.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went to the shop and held the preheat button on for 60 seconds. Intake manifold got really hot. Still no start
Same with both engines. No start. I`ve tried either, with cold manifold, and engine will cough and sputter like it wannts
to run then nothing. Caution: Do not use either with warm manifold, it could explode. Bout ready to junk the whole project. These are very complex gensets evidenced by all the wiring and relays. Hindsight, I would have left them alone

Thanks for listening to all my complaining
Private Buttweet:(

Carl_in_NH

What color smoke are you getting? White or black?

Could be bad IP timing. Try doing the alternate timing method spelled out in the TMs and AMBAC manual.

EDIT: Could also be that it's not spinning over fast enough. If so, you'll get puffs of white smoke but it will never generate enough heat to fire. Do you have a good, solid 24V source to crank it with? Slightly slow and it will not go - pre-heat or not.

Last edited:

rogersn67

Bout ready to junk the whole project. These are very complex gensets evidenced by all the wiring and relays. Hindsight, I would have left them alone

Thanks for listening to all my complaining
Private Buttweet:(
Well if you are gonna junk the project, I am looking for another mep003! I will be happy to drive down and take em off your hands! JK
Seriously, they are well worth the effort and frustration! All the relays and wiring is prefferable to solid state stuff IMHO, you can do it!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sloryd here was having the same issues. Pulled out all his hair trying to diagnose. PM him for insight into timing the engine. I think in the end the problem was that the injector pump was air-bound and would not prime. We finally got it to spurt after endless cranking.

treeguy

I spent just about the same amount of time trying to get my '02 started (weeks). I checked everything. Its always (usually) the dumbest thing that is the problem. I got a new IP after figuring out that was the problem. Guess what, it still wouldn't start. Like I said, its the dumb stuff, I had no idea that new IP's didn't come with timing buttons. Before I figured that out, I said the heck with it and took apart the original IP and found the broken drive washer. After welding that and reinstalling the original IP, the genny started right up. You said you took apart the IP's, are you sure that you checked/noticed the dog bone/drive washer and that it was OK? That part is very important.

P.S. The IP on the '02 is the same as on the '03, as is most everything else.

Try searching some of the other MEP threads, wether '02 or '03 folks have been having similar issues.

Last edited:

Keith_J

What is the compression like? You can try turning it over with a 12" ratchet (clockwise only), if it is difficult, compression is adequate.

If not, check valve clearances. 10 thousandth's intake, 7 thousandths exhaust. Covered in the -12 TM. Are the glowplugs working? All the 002As I have worked with/on, no preheat was needed above 60 F. The 003As turn over slower, having the same starter as the 002As but twice the cylinders.

Skip ether. Take the rubber intake hose off and use a lit propane torch, directly in the intake while cranking for heat. Far more than the intake heaters.

Good point on the fuel cut-off solenoid. But also make sure the fuel control lever rises to the upper most position when the engine is off. The control lever is lubricated with diesel and weeps a tiny bit. Not an issue if run once a week (Monday morning PMCS with DA-2404) but store it for five years and all that diesel turns to varnish. The control lever must move freely, otherwise the governor cannot control the engine. Or no fuel will ever be injected.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions. They are blowing white cold fuel smoke. Got two new 12 volt batteries on them and they spin the engine pretty fast. Followed the manual on timing the IP, but haven`t tried the alternate method.
Thinking now air may be the culprit. Will rebleed everything tomorrow.
Really appreciate your help. These two gensets are 200 and 300 hrs units. The third one that cranked right up
has 3300 hrs on it.
Thanks again
Private Buttweet

Keith_J

I've seen quite a few with newer Onan engines, look at the blower wheel cover for an Onan tag. My guess is a bunch of them got new/rebuilt engines due to warranty issues. My 002A was originally made in 1986 yet has a 1996 Onan engine. Plus repainted and data/instruction plate reinstall evidence with rivet bases in the output cubicle.

I'm thinking it was storage and not hours that caused compression issues. So once you get it running, exercise it at least once a week. Load it to at least 50% and until the oil thermostat opens, as verified by the lower fitting on the oil cooler getting hot. Check the cooling air shutters to see if they open fully. Blocking some of the flow at the air inlet speeds warming, just only block 1/2 the area.

Once a month, drain the tank to check for corrosion. POR tank sealer is recommended if there is rust. You must pull the tank, clean and pickle with phosphoric acid, then coat. No more rust. Also check to see if the vent in the tank cap is open during running.

citizensoldier

I had the same type of issues with mine. I ended up removing the 3 canister fuel filter set up. Replaced all the fuel lines and put a aftermarket fuel filter set up on it. It starts fine now but still needs about 30 seconds of pre-heat. I think it was sucking air in the 2 miles of old dried out fuel lines. Another simple thing to check is the low oil shut off make sure it is working.

Keith_J

Also check each electric fuel pump as they have fine strainers and once plugged, no fuel flow. I doubt the main filters could ever clog before the fuel pump strainers are totally clogged. Also, if the gaskets on the bottom of these pumps are leaking, poor fuel delivery is a problem.

These are easy to replace. Good luck finding them. 2" OD, 1" ID and 5/32" thick. Buna-N or Viton.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all your inputs, I had a partial victory today on one of my 003`s. Smelled smoke and lots of it from an engine that has been dormant for 20+ years. Really did a lot of skipping and sputtering for awhile and settled out somewhat
Don`t exactly know what I did to finally get it to fire off. Now it will run a few minutes then shut off. I removed the IP
and totally disassembled it mainly to check the plunger guide ($50) which is the most common failure mode item. It was still intact. Reassembled it w/o a new gasket set ($70, really big ripoff, 4 orings and tiny washer) and reinstalled
by timing TM. After observing fuel spurts from disconnected fuel lines at injectors, Just knew It would start this time.
Implementing all the suggestions from you guys last nite,it fired off. Freshly charged batteries to spin the engine fast
was the key.
Still have one to go.
Love this website
Thanks again
Private Buttweet:)