• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FS595C and the Real World

RangerBob

I wish there was a correlation between the FS595 color codes and the real world, but there is not. It would make it a lot easier and cheaper to match paint, especially for those overseas owners of US MVs. Our overseas enthusiasts have a similar problem with their 'standards', RAL and BS381c.

What's wrong with the FS595B code? To start, it's arbitrary, as in the numbers have little to no relation to real colors, though they are roughly grouped by hue. It's non-sequential, meaning that the shade, intensity, or saturation of two adjacent colors in the code do not necessarily increase or decrease with the numeric values.

A brief description of the FS595 code:
  • Composed of 5 digits.
  • The first digit represents the glossiness on a scale of 1-3, with 1 being glossy and 3 being flat/lusterless.
  • The second digit represents the color, usually/sort of. 0=Brown, 1=Red, 2=Orange, 3=Yellow, 4=Green, 5=Blue, 6=Grey, 7=Other, and 8=Flourescent.
  • The last 3 digits are suppose to represent the intensity, with a lower number being a darker color, but I haven't found this to be accurate, to my perception anyway.
So my favorite color, 15045 (Strata Blue), is glossy...mostly blue...and of some arbitrary intensity value of 045. You can see the hue change between intensity values. In the blues, you will see a color get a hint of purple, and then the purple will be gone in the next value/step. There are also many gaps in the number sequence to allow new colors to be added. In fact, there are more gaps than used numbers. There are even no glossy versions of existing flat colors, and vice versa.

An FS595 color palette sample (blue):
blue palette.JPG

How can we fix this? Convert the code into some standard format, like RGB, CMYK, or one of the fancier systems, like Munsell or CIELAB. RGB and CMYK have their limitations, so the CIELAB format is probably the best, and I believe it is the default output of the spectrophotometers used in many auto and home paint shops. If I can not find this conversion already done (oh, I sure hope I can), I will probably order an FS595 chip set and do this myself. Actually, they're too darn expensive, so I'll have to start with just the colors I'm intersted in. But rather than spend a few days in a Maaco, Sherwin-Williams, or Home Depot using their spectrophotometer, I might buy a relatively cheap unit like this Pantone - Color Cue®2.1. Afterwards, it will be another cool tool/toy for my workbench. [thumbzup]

So far, the best conversion resource I have found is this chart (it can be downloaded as a zipped PDF), which I believe was created primarily for modellers. It's pretty cool, but has lots of missing info that could easily be filled in with info gathered from color samples and a spectrophotometer. Here is a sample output for FS 33538 Insignia Yellow, with BS381c, RAL, and RGB codes selected for display:
color chart.jpg

Though I don't know how accurate they are, since FS 33538 crosses to BS381c 356 AND 368, the RGB values in the above chart can be used to calculate the rough equivalent values in just about any other system, as seen from a screen capture of this online calculator:
easyrgbcom.JPG

Am I wasting my time? Do you think it is a good, worthwhile idea? :cookoo: Has someone else or the govt already done this and I haven't found it? It just seems to make sense to make this conversion. With modern instruments and paint technology that was lacking when FS595 was developed, it should be a done deal.

Last edited:

Danl

Danl M915A1

WOW Bob you are way up on paint, compared to me . and thats real cool. I didn't even know 1/4 of what you said. I go to the paint store and Look at ,the FS 595 and Point to the shade I want and They mix it up for me . Some times I bring in a sample and they put it in a scope, and they can get the color I need , this works real good on stuff that is faded, because the new paint matches the faded stuff. I take it that you are doing the mixing your self . If you are and can not get the right code, why can't you bring a sample to the paint shop have them scope it . Than take the code and Give it A name that you like and record it in you files? and you will have it when you need it

RangerBob

I started looking into this for a friend in the UK. When she tried to find a supplier or even a sample of Strata Blue/FS 15045 over there for her M38, she had no luck. Shipping gallons from here is a no-go because of HazMat surcharges alone.

One option is to find a US supplier that was also in the UK. PPG is a possibility, but they don't list 15045. She can try contacting a local rep and see if they can get it (or mix it) at a reasonable cost.

Another option is to find the BS381c equivalent, but the nearest is 35044, which you can see by the blue palette above is not even close. RAL and RLM are even farther away.

If her M38 were still strata blue, and she just needed it touched up to match what is already there, then no problem taking a sample to match like you did. But if you don't have the original paint and/or would like to do an authentic restoration, where do you get an FS595 sample in Europe? Chips from the US will cost $70 plus shipping for a Strata Blue and an Insignia Yellow. Eek.

So why not just convert all these silly abstract color schemes to something readily reproducible anywhere in the world?

Last edited:

Danl

Danl M915A1

The world dose not Like USA, it wont work with us Unless we are buying there junk, they wont buy Our good stuff, but will flood us with junk , I think thats why , LOL

RangerBob

Actually, they have the same problem. The UK gov has their BS381c color system that means nothing to anyone else in the world. The rest of western Europe has RAL and RLM. Try going to Maaco to have your German vehicle interior painted RAL 7028/1 Dunkelgeln II without a paint chip!! :roll: These systems were all created before we had computers that could acquire, store, and reproduce colors. Everyone had to mail around color samples and visually mix paints in order to reproduce desired colors. We should have move beyond this by now.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks