• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft Bliss Recovery and MV Finds

Pawnshop

I think the top is Deuce/5ton, the racks on top of the pile are for a M105 trailer (I think), I need one side of that windshield, and reloader64 was interested in the Chevy topper and the troop seats (IF they fit a M35), but we were too poor this pay-cycle:(

Sumoman

these gensets come with a huge sledge hammer???

what for?

:?:
Primary malfunction tool set. Step one: When any military piece of equipment malfunctions hit said equipment with sledge hammer 3 times, if said equipment does not start please refer step two: Look at the to owners manual.

Chevytruck

Primary malfunction tool set. Step one: When any military piece of equipment malfunctions hit said equipment with sledge hammer 3 times, if said equipment does not start please refer step two: Look at the to owners manual.
:funny:

if so where are the sledge hammer marks? :p

MILRET45

Texas law allows former military vehicles to run on special plates or hood number but you have to register for one case or the other, i.e. if you own an unregistered truck with vaid hood numbers you are not in compliance.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there is now a foot-note to the Ft Bliss trip. I was heading down to San Antonio to pick up my friend and then head up to Austin for the Lonestar MVPA meeting at Camp Mabry last night. I had just stopped and fueled up (25 gallons) and pulled out on the hiway when I heard the dreaded "thump, thump, thump" from the rear end. I was only about 5 miles from home so figured I could baby it back with a bad u-joint without having to get my nice clean t-shirt dirty.

U-turn to head north on Hiway 281 with the 4 ways on and the rythmic thumping of the bad joint when I pass a local LEO with someone pulled over. Knowing that as soon as he was done he would stop me for noise pollution and driving on the shoulder, I decided to go ahead, stop and pull the drive shaft and just drive home in 4-hi.

I get the u-joint undone with no problem (one of the bearing caps had disappeared) and pulled the yoke out of the transmission when the flood gates opened. Now we're not talking about a little tranny fluid leaking out the back I mean the entire fluid capacity of a TH400 came spewing out the back.

Remembering said LEO down the road I jumped back in and instead of trying to make it home I drove straight to a repair shop about 1/4 mile from where I was stopped leaving about a 6" wide trail behind me with a nice perfect arc leading into the shop's lot.

I'm waiting for the entire diagnosis today but am guessing it's a seal in the tail shaft of the tranny. I can only say I'm extremely happy this didn't happen between El Paso and San Antonio. For those who may not know the area it's about 500 miles of moonscape and a long tow home.

To Be Continued...

m38inmaine

That fluid loss is normal with the shaft removed, especially with it being hot. You can't drive it with the shaft removed and not loose fluid.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the wrap up to the story is I helped Sarge and Rory pick up Sarge's new Clamshell Shop trailer yesterday (wait until you see the thread on that) and sold my M1009 to M813rc (Rory). Luckily I also picked up another 1009 up in OKC and if the EUC will ever clear I can get that. Trouble with it is StreetbikeDepot looked it over yesterday and it wouldn't start. So begins the new adventure.

To Be Continued...(probably under a different thread).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks