• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft Dix NJ

cybrockway

What restrictions does the base have for picking up an M931? Can it be driving off or towed? How difficult is it to get into the base, etc. Any help is appreciated.

dmetalmiki

Congratulations on your purchase. Why not give them a ring?. Bet you will get all the help and advice you need right then. Good luck keep us informed, with pictures of course.

AZK9

My experience with the folks at Fort Dix has been very positive. Both GP and GL employees there have been super
nice and helpful.

You are, however, going to be entering a US military base and you will need proper photo ID's for yourself and
others with you. You must have proof of active insurance and vehicle documentation. All of your 'purchase paperwork'
must be appropriately completed, and 'in-hand', so that you can be cleared for entry. Appointments are required
in advance, so call the contact numbers to make sure everything is in order and you are on their schedule for pickup.

If anything is not correct ahead of time... the soldiers will not allow you onto the base. Instead, they will direct
you to the Information Center (outside the gate) where hopefully you can get any problems worked out.

Proper preparation, on your part, is key to a successful experience! Good luck! [thumbzup]

cybrockway

My experience with the folks at Fort Dix has been very positive. Both GP and GL employees there have been super
nice and helpful.

You are, however, going to be entering a US military base and you will need proper photo ID's for yourself and
others with you. You must have proof of active insurance and vehicle documentation. All of your 'purchase paperwork'
must be appropriately completed, and 'in-hand', so that you can be cleared for entry. Appointments are required
in advance, so call the contact numbers to make sure everything is in order and you are on their schedule for pickup.

If anything is not correct ahead of time... the soldiers will not allow you onto the base. Instead, they will direct
you to the Information Center (outside the gate) where hopefully you can get any problems worked out.

Proper preparation, on your part, is key to a successful experience! Good luck! [thumbzup]
Azk9, thank you for the thorough response. Much appreciated...

As azk9 stated have your purchase paperwork and all your truck documents in order i.e. reg,inspection,insurance. I dont think you can drive off, populated area. follow the signs to the commercial gate. They will make you get out and they will search your truck. Please dont have any firearms or knives in the truck!

AZK9

... They will make you get out and they will search your truck. Please dont have any firearms or knives in the truck!
My last trip had the highest level of security I have ever experienced at Fort Dix (which I appreciated).
Still... everything went smoothly (although it took a lot longer) due to increased, total vehicle searching.
and two additional (temporary? maybe :shrugs: IDK...) checkpoints that I had never seen prior.

As Timarr mentioned... don't have anything with you that might be considered a weapon. I even leave
the Leatherman multi-tool at home... just to be safe! ;-)

joey88

My last trip had the highest level of security I have ever experienced at Fort Dix (which I appreciated).
Still... everything went smoothly (although it took a lot longer) due to increased, total vehicle searching.
and two additional (temporary? maybe :shrugs: IDK...) checkpoints that I had never seen prior.

As Timarr mentioned... don't have anything with you that might be considered a weapon. I even leave
the Leatherman multi-tool at home... just to be safe! ;-)
Thanks for the input and advice gentlemen. I hope my Army brethren don't treat me all messed up. Lol.

AZK9

As long as you follow their rules I'm sure you'll be fine. :-D

On my last visit, the 'head/senior security officer MP' at the commercial gate was seriously doing his job,
as several others joined him in looking over my recently painted deuce! He was the toughest guy I had ever
experienced there. He questioned me multiple times about the vehicle and how it got into the condition it was
in. I had nothing to hide, but something about him began to make me kinda nervous. I guess I passed his test, :wink:
because all of a sudden his stern attitude changed and he started talking 'with me' instead of 'to me'.

It turned out that he was really interested in the whole restoration process I had done and remarked at how good
the Ole Deuce was looking!! I actually enjoyed the conversation from that point on. He was a good guy just doing
his job... (Army through-n-through), but he was human and personable too (once they had cleared me and the truck).
He went out of his way to compliment me on what I had done with my 1970 M35A2!

I'm sure if you do all of your preparations and make the required appointment correctly... you'll have a great visit. [thumbzup]

Keep us posted as you proceed...

joey88

As long as you follow their rules I'm sure you'll be fine. :-D

On my last visit, the 'head/senior security officer MP' at the commercial gate was seriously doing his job,
as several others joined him in looking over my recently painted deuce! He was the toughest guy I had ever
experienced there. He questioned me multiple times about the vehicle and how it got into the condition it was
in. I had nothing to hide, but something about him began to make me kinda nervous. I guess I passed his test, :wink:
because all of a sudden his stern attitude changed and he started talking 'with me' instead of 'to me'.

It turned out that he was really interested in the whole restoration process I had done and remarked at how good
the Ole Deuce was looking!! I actually enjoyed the conversation from that point on. He was a good guy just doing
his job... (Army through-n-through), but he was human and personable too (once they had cleared me and the truck).
He went out of his way to compliment me on what I had done with my 1970 M35A2!

I'm sure if you do all of your preparations and make the required appointment correctly... you'll have a great visit. [thumbzup]

Keep us posted as you proceed...
Good times!!!

I surely will. Fingers crossed.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Security has really tightened up (probably post Chattanooga). We went to Tobyhanna to pick up 3 shelters. When we visited in 2010 and again in 2012, we were allowed to snap as many pictures of the displays as we wanted, not this time though, no pictures.

joey88

Security has really tightened up (probably post Chattanooga). We went to Tobyhanna to pick up 3 shelters. When we visited in 2010 and again in 2012, we were allowed to snap as many pictures of the displays as we wanted, not this time though, no pictures.
I'm active duty so I'm not that worried. I'll get saluted and told to have a great day. Nothing honors me more than our SMs in uniform.

AZK9

I'm active duty so I'm not that worried. I'll get saluted and told to have a great day. ...
Hey Joey...

That being the case, ask your phone contact at Fort Dix if you can use the main gate... instead of the commercial gate.
If they will let you go that route, you will not have to get in a long line of commercial vehicles/trucks.

It's worth calling and checking. [thumbzup]

joey88

Hey Joey...

That being the case, ask your phone contact at Fort Dix if you can use the main gate... instead of the commercial gate.
If they will let you go that route, you will not have to get in a long line of commercial vehicles/trucks.

It's worth calling and checking. [thumbzup]
I'll definitely look into that....thanks for the help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks