• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft. Polk Louisiana Recovery week of Jan 26,2009

goldneagle

I am looking for a volunteer to go with me to Ft. Polk to pick up the M820A2 truck I won from GL. I got my EUC today and found out my friend will not be available to go with me. Is there anyone with knowledge on 5 tons that would be able to accompany me to the recovery site at Ft. Polk, Louisiana? please PM me if you can go. GOLDNEAGLE

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advice: Have someone haul it for you. You may get it hauled for around $2.00/mile or in your case $500. The GL girls at Ft Polk are all business and will not be patient with prolonged attempts to jump start, pull start and the like. Use a transportation broker such as truckingdeals.com or uship.com. Lots of RGNs leave Polk empty. If you have troubles on the back roads of LA, you will wish you followed my suggestion.

littlebob

I am looking for a volunteer to go with me to Ft. Polk to pick up the M820A2 truck I won from GL. I got my EUC today and found out my friend will not be available to go with me. Is there anyone with knowledge on 5 tons that would be able to accompany me to the recovery site at Ft. Polk, Louisiana? please PM me if you can go. GOLDNEAGLE

I got a PM from you on the old site which I found strange? Did you get my reply?

littlebob

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with NDT. It is more cool to drive the truck out. It is much safer to have the truck shipped home. I would have it shipped. My suggestion...people need to factor the cost of shipping a truck into the equation when they buy a truck. Too often guys think they'll save money by driving the truck out when most will not have tags or insurance. One serious accident later and the hobby as we know it will be impacted. My $.02...

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When are you specifically

going? For fuel I could hook up my deuce with my towbar and get you home.....

goldneagle

going? For fuel I could hook up my deuce with my towbar and get you home.....
I hope towing will not be necessary! I could use someone with experience with 5 TONS and the Cummins 250 engine. I appreciate the offer... I you wish to go with us you are more than welcome. Please PM me and we can make arrangements.

We are scheduled to go there Wednesday morning.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are getting ready to drive a truck that weighs 29,000 pounds or so...and you are driving a 5 ton for the first time, or so it sounds like. Do yourself a favor...have the truck shipped. I bet that truck would drive out...and I know that thought is what tempts you. However, the time to learn about a truck is not the first time you are driving it. Get it home and go over it. Then, you'll kn ow for sure what you've got. What's a few hundred more dollars for safety's sake.

goldneagle

You are getting ready to drive a truck that weighs 29,000 pounds or so...and you are driving a 5 ton for the first time, or so it sounds like. Do yourself a favor...have the truck shipped. I bet that truck would drive out...and I know that thought is what tempts you. However, the time to learn about a truck is not the first time you are driving it. Get it home and go over it. Then, you'll kn ow for sure what you've got. What's a few hundred more dollars for safety's sake.
I appreciate your concern! We will be checking all the fluids and the brakes before we attempt to take it on the road. Even though I have not driven a Military 5 ton before, i have driven my Deuce. I have also driven a FORD C800 bucket truck from Pennsylvania to NJ years ago. That one had AIR brakes. Arrived home safely!

The 5 ton has the same shift pattern as the Deuce. Unless they shift differently than using a clutch petal I can't see the difference! I even get power steering to boot!

As far as money is concerned, not everyone has an extra $500+ to spend on shipping. I need the money to pay the sales tax and registration fees.

I have read many threads on members driving their new acquisitions half way across the country without you or others suggesting they should have it transported.

I am not planning on setting any speed records on the way home. i always leave plenty of space between me and the vehicle ahead. (I just wish the jerks out there would stop cutting in front of me just because there is a space between myself and the vehicle ahead) I drive defensively so that should help.

motorolanut

Ditto on the Bkubu reply, You have weght and height clearance issues, I know it is sooooo tempting but one little mistake or problem with the truck could cost you plenty in injuries or lawsuits from innocent drivers. Great Score by the way!! Congrats!!:-D

goldneagle

You have made your decision. Go for it. Don't forget your tags and insurance.
You mean you know a way to get tags without the SF-97 forms? I bet all the rest of the SS members who drove their vehicles home had TAGS on their vehicles!

Maybe i shouldn't drive the truck at all seeing as I'm too stupid to know about hight clearance issues. Like the truck is gonna shrink if I have it delivered to my house and I don't need to worry about it's height after that!

Wouldn't the truck be even higher if it was on a trailer?

motorolanut

Wow. RELAX.. Don't get your %$#@ in a bunch.....Hey we are only concerned for your safety and that of who ever is with you...
No one ever said you were stupid. Bkubu and myself are only offering advice..
I am sure you are an adult and quite capable of making your own decisions on driving your prize home.
Once again Congratulations on a very nice truck won....Enjoy the spoils of victory.....

goldneagle

Wow. RELAX.. Don't get your %$#@ in a bunch.....Hey we are only concerned for your safety and that of who ever is with you...
No one ever said you were stupid. Bkubu and myself are only offering advice..
I am sure you are an adult and quite capable of making your own decisions on driving your prize home.
Once again Congratulations on a very nice truck won....Enjoy the spoils of victory.....
Thanks for the Congrats! I appreciate the concern. I was going to insure the truck before pickup. I will also take UNCLE MACC'S advise and look into getting some kind of temp tags.

I guess I'm a bit anxious about the recovery and may have taken things a little out of context.

I would appreciate advise as to what i need to take with me, things to check or look for while servicing and any other helpful hints when I drive it home.

Thank you in advance.
GE

Attachments

jimm1009

Ft. Polk recovery

I need to inject some comments from the manager of the Baton Rouge Office of Motor Vehicles of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Per thier instructions, obtain insurance for travels with time to spare and not not get caught without insurance.
They will not issue a private individual a travel permit (paper plate) for receovery of any vehicle within the state and going to another area within the state.
You must be a used car dealer at a minimum in order to get a paper plate per their words to me in August 2008.
I asked them what would happen if and when I'm pulled over.
They stated that you should have your insurance card available and your signed invoice with pickup date available and explain the situation to the officer adding that this is from Baton Rouge OMV.
You will be allowed to travel on down the road. In Louisiana, the standard auto insurance company has to give you temporary coverage within 30 days of purchase by state law (per my Farm B. agent) or in our case, date of pickup because it could take 1or 2 months to actually get cleared in order to actually perform the "pickup". Make sure you have at lease tow copies of your invoice, one for GL and one for you. Have both copies signed by them showing the release date and their name.
I additionally followed this up by a call to my local state police office and they told me it does sound flaky, but that is the way it has to be done.
My agent told me that I am automatically covered, but I insisted on getting it in writing with the VIN listed. If you are unsure of the year, get it close and you can always correct it when you get the real coverage. Farm B. will give you a week or so for free if you are an existing customer and they see a chance to add a vehicle a little later.
Check it out by calling Baton Rouge yourself or just go to the local Troop Office if they are close.
I have followed this procedure twice in 2008. Also buying in Mississippi is the same thing when coming back to Louisiana with it. They (Misssissippi) will not issue a paper plate to an individual either and they told me the same thing, "Insurance, insurance, insurance," and "go home with your truck."

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i am sorry that other friend of yours backed out. he shouldnt have ever told you he would go in the first place. i wish i could get off but i am already taking off next monday to pick up my 2 trucks in miss. i dont think you will have much trouble with that truck its in super shape. Tim

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have to retract my offer. I had a motorcycle wreck Friday night and m a little worse for wear. Good luck...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GE, when i brought the 819 ,i drove it around , it had power , ran great , i was going to drive it to Ga., something told me that might not be the smartest plan, i had it trucked, and glad i did, Two days after arriving it lost power then QUIT on the road, i got it started, and babied it home with a few SHUT DOWNS on the way, come to find out the tank had sand, crud, and some other stuff that was unidentifiable in it which in turn plugged the fuel filter. driving the 819 on the road at highway speeds loosened all this high quality C##P, if i had driven id, it would be stuck on the road and fixing it would have COST a LOT of $$$$$$, and there would be NO way of babying it home.

GE, do what you went, this is just my story, hope everything goes OK for you

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks