• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft. Polk Louisiana Recovery week of Jan 26,2009

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you feel better Ken.

GE, I'm going to defend BKubu in just the fact that he ALWAYS instructs folks to have their GL bountys hauled. Besides all the other advice I would caution you on one thing. Check with the GL folks about a drive off. At JAX here in FL, NOTHING gets driven off the site, they won't allow it. Be worth a phone call or as I was once told, it's sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness that permission.

Brakes aren't much different than a deuce. Above all else, make sure these are working as designed. If you know deuce brakes, you know 5 ton brakes so you have a big advantage over a newby.
Be Safe

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the well wishes. Btw, when you are ready to do title, reg etc, check the Politics forum for a thread called "For Louisiana M/V owners". If you want to title it and register as a private vehicle, that thread lists the process to give you permanent registration and you won't have to mount a license plate. If you have any questions about the process, feel free to pm your number to me and I'll call and answer everything I can. Good luck and congrats on the win!

goldneagle

UPDATE:

Well after trying for over a day I finally got Insurance set up for my truck. I tried all the major carriers as well as some local agents and was told they do not cover Military Vehicles.

I finally contacted Gulfway Insurance in Florida and they said they would insure my truck. The only glitch is that they do not take applications over the internet or fax. Forms were emailed to me to fill in, but I had to send it UPS Next Day Air in order to get coverage before Thursday.

I called yesterday trying to reschedule my p/u day to Thursday. All I got was the voicemail. I finally got through this morning and was able to reschedule for Thursday Morning.

I went to NAPA and got all the part I ordered for the truck. Oil and Fuel filters, all the fan belts (5), DOT5 brake fluid, power steering fluid, 7qts motor oil, FL-1 gear oil, new fuel line, 2 new COMMERCIAL batteries and a jumper wire, antifreeze, wiper blades, glad hand, light bulbs, and Diesel fuel treatment.

While I was p/u my order i received a call from Gulfway that the application for insurance was approved. She emailed me a copy of the ID card.

Here is a list of some additional items I am taking with me to the recovery tomorrow:

My 1" impact gun with 50' of air hose. My 1/2" impact and 3/8" air ratchet. Air chuck to fill tires. Tire air gage. Hammer and hand tools, pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches. 1/4",3/8",1/2" combo socket set. 3/4"breaker bar and ratchet plus extensions. Pry-bars, Air blow gun. Electrical wire and wirenuts, black tape. 20 ton bottle jack. Empty bucket with funnel. WD-40. Battery booster pac (in case we need more power to start the truck and to plug the NAV system in on the way home) Long iron pipe for leverage of ratchet if necessary. Foam pad for working under truck (Used as a padding under sleeping bags in the military)

Will also bring documents for picking up the truck plus color photos of the truck from the auction (to make sure nothin is missing)

I am gonna have Mike bring the extra Diesel with him to cut down on the weight in the Crown Vic. i hope I will not need half the stuff I am taking with me!!!!

I will also try to remember to bring the camera with me to document the trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks