• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft. Riley recovery and a special thanks to Glen at BFR Metals

RumRunner742

Tomorrow myself and a new SS member will be headed to Riley for 923A2 recovery and this will be the beginning of the build thread for that truck. After reading the trucks dispo off of GP we made two runs to BFR Metals in Salina KS to get "must have" parts for successful recovery and wear and tear items that will be needed in the future. I would also like to thank Glen for allowing us to visit his yard and pull parts during non-business hours and for his generous offer to loan me tires to ensure that my truck made it safely back to Wichita. For those of you that have been there and met Glen and Zeva then you already know how much he contributes to the 5T community. For those of you who dont know Glen..... its worth the drive to KS to see his yard and meet him. I don't want to be accused of "Cheerleading" per the rules, so I will post what I actually paid for my items and let you be the judge.

20150913_130817.jpg PCB $45

20150912_141320.jpgBrand new tires $150 a piece (never been mounted)

20150913_170914.jpgCTIS Brains $50

Here are a few shots of the yard just to give you visual of the playground we spent all weekend in.

20150912_090042.jpg 20150913_130956.jpg 20150913_130915.jpg 20150913_130947.jpg 20150912_090448.jpg

20150913_135947.jpg Zeva.......... Security detail

JohnnyBM931A2

Tomorrow myself and a new SS member will be headed to Riley for 923A2 recovery and this will be the beginning of the build thread for that truck. After reading the trucks dispo off of GP we made two runs to BFR Metals in Salina KS to get "must have" parts for successful recovery and wear and tear items that will be needed in the future. I would also like to thank Glen for allowing us to visit his yard and pull parts during non-business hours and for his generous offer to loan me tires to ensure that my truck made it safely back to Wichita. For those of you that have been there and met Glen and Zeva then you already know how much he contributes to the 5T community. For those of you who dont know Glen..... its worth the drive to KS to see his yard and meet him. I don't want to be accused of "Cheerleading" per the rules, so I will post what I actually paid for my items and let you be the judge.

View attachment 581309 PCB $45

View attachment 581310Brand new tires $150 a piece (never been mounted)

View attachment 581311CTIS Brains $50

Here are a few shots of the yard just to give you visual of the playground we spent all weekend in.

View attachment 581312 View attachment 581313 View attachment 581315 View attachment 581316 View attachment 581317

View attachment 581318 Zeva.......... Security detail
Now THAT is cool.. I wish my yard looked like that :)

RumRunner742

The recovery went very smooth. We had brought along two new tires based on the GP photos, however when we got there it was apparent that we needed three for sure and the fourth was questionable. With the spare and the two new tires we made it work. The GP dispo stated that no gauges or lights worked so I replaced the PCB and everything came to life. After reading some of the other SS members threads I decided to install two F4DLT batteries and they also worked like a champ (in warm weather anyways). My buddy checked fluid levels and we put in ten gallons of fresh diesel and some Lucas and it fired right off.

Some things we learned:
- Remove the counterweight if you remove the ctis valve. Makes for a rough ride.
- Manually removing lug nuts will in fact result in pain. Brian with GP came by with a air impact gun to help out. Thanks Brian!
- Anything smaller than 1" drive is a waste of time.
- Check the rubber rope on the bed cover. Its probably rotted and will allow your top to start coming off some where inconvenient.
- The rotted stitching on the soft top will not hold at highway speed.
- The hoist chain is not long enough to wrap around the tire and back on its self. We dropped the tire about a foot when the chain came out.

20150914_160241.jpg20150914_141257.jpgATT_1442335787885_20150914_123328.jpg20150915_100809_001.jpg20150914_190508.jpg20150914_162629.jpg

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You missed picking up one of the spare lowering chains that were in that pile by the PCB's there were a few of them there last week anyways, they are part of the 939 BII. 000_0179.jpg Hind sight is 20/20 put you could have just put the chain fall hook into the wheel center hole.
Glen is as my mother used to say is "Salt of the earth" so no foul in cheer leading for him. This reminds me I need to get back out there before the end of the month.

RumRunner742

You missed picking up one of the spare lowering chains that were in that pile by the PCB's there were a few of them there last week anyways, they are part of the 939 BII. View attachment 581611 Hind sight is 20/20 put you could have just put the chain fall hook into the wheel center hole.
Glen is as my mother used to say is "Salt of the earth" so no foul in cheer leading for him. This reminds me I need to get back out there before the end of the month.
I'll be there this weekend, so now I know where to look :D

RumRunner742

How do I get ahold of Glen at BFR Metals? Will he pull parts and ship?
Hes doesn't pull parts or ship. His guys pull big ticket items and put them to the side for pick up, but all those frames, cabs, and beds you see in the pictures will get crushed and sold by weight. He has several pairs of Marine Corps axles with the lockers in them and a ton of winches and pretty much everything you could want if you have the time to make the trip.

Glen Soldan, BFR Metals:
785-493-8575 w
785-643-7410 m
gsoldan@bfrmetals.com

jrosbo

Thanks guys. I was looking for the elusive pressure switch on the air tanks for the ctis. I cant seem to find one. That would be a haul for me for a two minute job for a part that would fit in the palm of my hand. I'm trying to think of anything else I might need. Anybody near there that might want to make a little extra money? PM me.

RumRunner742

Made the trip to recover truck number #2. Blew a tire on the trailer before we even left town which ate up two hours aua. When we did get there we found five trashed tires, but we had planned for that after the last recovery. New batteries and diesel and it fired right up. Thanks again to Brian and the GP guys. 20151005_070230.jpgATT_1444143271545_20151005_143158.jpg20151005_161004.jpg20151005_191206.jpg

JohnnyBM931A2

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just a friendly suggestion but I know I run with my full lights on no matter what time of day it is. Maybe it the angle of the picture but your taillights do not look like they are on. Just a thought....

Hes doesn't pull parts or ship. His guys pull big ticket items and put them to the side for pick up, but all those frames, cabs, and beds you see in the pictures will get crushed and sold by weight. He has several pairs of Marine Corps axles with the lockers in them and a ton of winches and pretty much everything you could want if you have the time to make the trip.

Glen Soldan, BFR Metals:
785-493-8575 w
785-643-7410 m
gsoldan@bfrmetals.com

Thats is a shame. Makes me sick to the stomache. Wish people would not scrap these trucks for a quick buck

RumRunner742

just a friendly suggestion but I know I run with my full lights on no matter what time of day it is. Maybe it the angle of the picture but your taillights do not look like they are on. Just a thought....
Tail lights were inop. We had brake, turn signal and hazards in the rear, but that was it. All other lights were good, so I ran chase to keep the locals from driving underneath him.

RumRunner742

Thats is a shame. Makes me sick to the stomache. Wish people would not scrap these trucks for a quick buck
I hate to see the trucks meet that end, but there are a dozen families that have food on the table because of the business and Glen is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I'm hoping that when they start to run out of trucks that maybe he'll park a couple of dozen for parts and charge more.

JohnnyBM931A2

Tail lights were inop. We had brake, turn signal and hazards in the rear, but that was it. All other lights were good, so I ran chase to keep the locals from driving underneath him.
I have the exact same problem with my M931A2.. Every light works, with the exception of the 2 tail lights. I cannot figure out where the issue is. I pulled the housings, and they looked brand new inside. I pulled the connectors behind the taillights.. No corrosion. Tested with a test light, and found no power with the exception of the brake/turn signal, which use the same bulb.

Please let me know if you find a solution for yours! :confused: I can't drive this truck until those lights work.. I'm hoping there's a solution that doesn't involve a new wiring harness, but that may have to happen if I can't get it figured out.

Piper Cub

I have the exact same problem with my M931A2.. Every light works, with the exception of the 2 tail lights. I cannot figure out where the issue is. I pulled the housings, and they looked brand new inside. I pulled the connectors behind the taillights.. No corrosion. Tested with a test light, and found no power with the exception of the brake/turn signal, which use the same bulb.

Please let me know if you find a solution for yours! :confused: I can't drive this truck until those lights work.. I'm hoping there's a solution that doesn't involve a new wiring harness, but that may have to happen if I can't get it figured out.
I had a similar problem on my M925. A replacement turn signal lever unit from Erick's solved my problem. Now my only problem is that the flasher unit doesn't flash under a certain temperature or RPM, so that's the next thing to check.

RumRunner742

We have yet to get around to troubleshooting the problem. I'll post it if we find a solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks