• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft Sam USAF Deuce unusual Camoflage?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at the paint on this Air Force deuce . . . has anyone ever seen this quasi-MERDEC camo on a 1988 year model truck? I know we have all seen the straight 686 tan trucks come from the Air Force, but this 3 color is new to me. This truck if fresh out of service from one of the AF bases in San Antonio, TX. It is one of the GL event 5529 trucks, and yes it has been side-handled by the stupid DRMO giant forklift like everything on the yard. Look for bent fuel tanks and possible bent drive shaft.

Attachments

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thoes look like some thing new for afgan. like the hummve is painted.
it need a little 383 green to compleat the job.

dc3coyote

I agree with CJ, looks almost excatley like the new patterns the Afghan national army is painting their trucks. If I could load any to the site I would post some of thier other camo patterns as well.

466Navastar

great looking truck !

I assume thats a M915 tow vehicle - wondering how these big trucks tow behind a short tractor with the towbar.....is it a bit white knucked at times---or a non issue--imagine speed must be kept down---right?

also - Im new to this MV stuff - figure I will need a towbar ----the one you have looks to be the type that I think I want....what is the military designation for it and the feet?....is there any ONE that is "the best" - or are there others that work just as well....

seems the towbars I have seen for sale are rather pricey ------anyone know if there is anywhere to get engineered plans for the military towbar(s).....Im a decent welder/fabricator....wouldnt be a problem just fabbing one up - IF I already had a truck...planning for worst case of buying a dead dog at GL and dont want to be unprepared....thanks

also can someone refer to the instructions for starting a new thread?.....Im not seeing it

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I saw it in person, there was another one that sold like that out of Ft. Sam but was missing the radiator and such. I kinda like it too.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
great looking truck !

I assume thats a M915 tow vehicle - wondering how these big trucks tow behind a short tractor with the towbar.....is it a bit white knucked at times---or a non issue--imagine speed must be kept down---right?

also - Im new to this MV stuff - figure I will need a towbar ----the one you have looks to be the type that I think I want....what is the military designation for it and the feet?....is there any ONE that is "the best" - or are there others that work just as well....

seems the towbars I have seen for sale are rather pricey ------anyone know if there is anywhere to get engineered plans for the military towbar(s).....Im a decent welder/fabricator....wouldnt be a problem just fabbing one up - IF I already had a truck...planning for worst case of buying a dead dog at GL and dont want to be unprepared....thanks

also can someone refer to the instructions for starting a new thread?.....Im not seeing it
OK thats a lot of questions . . . but here goes.

Yes that is a M915A1 doing the towing and it does a great job. I run it at 55 mph towing or deadheading. The nervewracking thing on the interstate is to be constantly blown by by cars and trucks doing 85+ mph. On smaller highways it is a pleasure to drive.

The towbar is the popular "medium tow bar". Prices seem to hover around $400. There are several threads on SS for fabricating your own. The feet are ones with 1 inch and 3/4 inch holes.

To start a new thread, go to "forums", then select the forum you want to start the thead in, and then you will see the "new thread" button.

jasonjc

The TM says to keep the tow bar as short as you can. I see you have yours out all the way. How does work? Is it better than short??

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM says to keep the tow bar as short as you can. I see you have yours out all the way. How does work? Is it better than short??
Funny you should ask. I have been flat towing deuces for many years and this is the first time I ever extended out the tow bar, about a little more than half way. I read somewhere on this forum that the bar was supposed to be short for cross country and long for highway. Never again. I had big time problems with the steer axle going the wrong way in turns, even after I seat belted the steering wheel. I will leave the bar short from now on. It is stonger that way as well.

466Navastar

thanks for the reply and answers -

confused in your post about seat belting the steering wheel ----how does the truck follow the tow vehicle when the steering wheel cant turn?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks