• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel additive for long term storage

Chainbreaker

I am looking for a good addictive to help keep diesel fuel from going bad anything you guys can recommend?
Need to know the circumstances. Is the fuel already purchased? What is "long term" going to be in this case? 6 months, 1 year or? Also, how is it being stored? In a generator's fuel tank, jerry cans, sealed 55 gallon drum, or? Your in a pretty dry low humidity climate, except in winter, so I would not be as concerned about excess condensation in summer vs winter.

Though at a minimum, if you are planning storage of over 6 months especially if the storage tank is vented, I would recommend a Biocide like Power Service brand BioKleen, 1 oz treats 55 gallons as a maintenance dose (I found a 16 oz bottle at an auto parts house). In this case, an ounce of prevention is truly worth a pound of cure! If you are buying the fuel now (summer blend diesel) I would also consider adding in an anti-gel/cetane booster additive like Power Service Artic Formula (white bottle) since you might need to be using the fuel during the winter months. But you could hold off and not add that until just before winter approaches.

robkiller

Need to know the circumstances. Is the fuel already purchased? What is "long term" going to be in this case? 6 months, 1 year or? Also, how is it being stored? In a generator's fuel tank, jerry cans, sealed 55 gallon drum, or? Your in a pretty dry low humidity climate, except in winter, so I would not be as concerned about excess condensation in summer vs winter.

Though at a minimum, if you are planning storage of over 6 months especially if the storage tank is vented, I would recommend a Biocide like Power Service brand BioKleen, 1 oz treats 55 gallons as a maintenance dose (I found a 16 oz bottle at an auto parts house). In this case, an ounce of prevention is truly worth a pound of cure! If you are buying the fuel now (summer blend diesel) I would also consider adding in an anti-gel/cetane booster additive like Power Service Artic Formula (white bottle) since you might need to be using the fuel during the winter months. But you could hold off and not add that until just before winter approaches.
It will be in a 55 gal drum and generator tank for about a year before I go through it all. I will get the winter blend. Already have it purchased.

Chainbreaker

You should be aware that use of biocides tends to make diesel exhaust toxic
Yep there is a warning label on BioKleen contents to not inhale, get on skin or ingest it. I find all combustion exhaust fumes toxic with enough direct inhalation exposure. Although, I'm sure any Biocide bumps it up a notch.

Chainbreaker

It will be in a 55 gal drum and generator tank for about a year before I go through it all. I will get the winter blend. Already have it purchased.
Is the drum going to remain sealed and then later opened and transferred via pump as needed or are you going to have it plumbed up to your generator via a drum adaptor kit or something like that (vented). Also, are we talking pure petro-diesel with no BioDiesel added? Regardless, since it is 55 gal I would add 1 oz of BioKleen, or other suitable brand biocide, as insurance plus any other additives you might normally use to help with lubricity, etc. Then you should be good for a year+.

Chainbreaker

I am not worried about that?
No worries unless your running your gen set in a garage or under a vented roof overhang, etc. When running mine outdoors on M116a trailer with tarp I make sure side and end tarp is fully rolled up full open and I never spend any time in front of exhaust flow. Of course in Colorado there is that Rocky Mountain high effect!

rustystud

The best long term storage additive I've found is "Pri-D" . Most Industry uses this stuff. I have personally used this stuff for years ! In fact I'm still using diesel I treated with it over 5 years ago. No problems ! It is pricey, but if you can afford it buy it in bulk you will get a getter rate. For "Lubricity" I use "Opti-Lube XLD" it is the best on the market. As far as a Bio-cide I forgot the name of the company I us, just use a good marine grade one. In fact go to the marine diesel sites and they will have what you need.

Chainbreaker

You should be aware that use of biocides tends to make diesel exhaust toxic
Out of curiosity, I decided to look into the toxicity of PS Bio Kleen and found the Material Safety Data Sheet on it (see attached). I could not find any specific cautions about an increased toxicity effect when using it as intended (via diesel exhaust). Actually, in its original concentrated form (before adding to diesel fuel) it is less toxic than I had thought. Of course, I use common sense and handle it just as if it were a pesticide type of chemical and try to not breath in diesel exhaust when working around a running generator. Here are a couple of excerpts that surprised me:

"INHALATION: Vapor from heated material or mist may cause respiratory irritation. For
narcotic effects: No specific, relevant data available for assessment.

INGESTION: Low toxicity if swallowed. Small amounts swallowed incidentally as a
result of normal handling operations are not likely to cause injury; however, swallowing
larger amounts may cause injury
."

http://www.powerservice.com/msds/pdf/Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide - revised 4-4-2013.pdf

I think when using this particular Biocide in a maintenance dose (1 Oz./55 Gal.) it would seem fairly safe when handled properly.

Chainbreaker

Should I Be Using Additives In My Stored Diesel Fuel?

While researching biocide toxicity in diesel fuel exhaust (really not much out there that I can find) I found a good overview on diesel fuel additives (Should I Be Using Additives In My Stored Diesel Fuel). Here is an excerpt from the Biocide section:

"Biocides - The high temperatures involved in refinery processing effectively sterilize diesel fuel. But the fuel quickly becomes contaminated with microorganisms present in air or water. These microorganisms include bacteria and fungi (yeasts and molds).

Since most microorganisms need free water to grow, biogrowth is usually concentrated at the fuel-water interface, when one exists. In addition to the fuel and water, they also need certain elemental nutrients in order to grow. Of these nutrients, phosphorous is the only one whose concentration might be low enough in a fuel system to limit biogrowth. Higher ambient temperatures also favor growth. Some organisms need air to grow (aerobic), while others only grow in the absence of air (anaerobic).

The time available for growth also is important. A few, or even a few thousand, organisms don't pose a problem. Only when the colony has had time to grow much larger will it have produced enough acidic by-product to accelerate tank corrosion or enough biomass (microbial slime) to plug filters. Although growth can occur in working fuel tanks, static tanks - where fuel is being stored for an extended period of time - are a much better growth environment when water is present.

Biocides can be used when microorganisms reach problem levels. The best choice is an additive that dissolves in both the fuel and the water so it can attack the microbes in both phases. Biocides typically are used in the concentration range of 200 ppm to 600 ppm. A biocide may not work if a heavy biofilm has accumulated on the surface of the tank or other equipment, because then it doesn't reach the organisms living deep within the film. In such cases, the tank must be drained and mechanically cleaned.

Even if the biocide effectively stops biogrowth, it still may be necessary to remove the accumulated biomass to avoid filter plugging. Since biocides are toxic, any water bottoms that contain biocides must be disposed of appropriately. The best approach to microbial contamination is prevention. And the most important preventative step is keeping the amount of water in a fuel storage tank as low as possible, preferably zero.

Source: http://www.fueltechnologiesinternat...using-additives-in-my-stored-diesel-fuel.html

ke5eua

A lot of places use additives in there storage tanks for long term storage.

We have a 500 gallon red tank and fill it up once a year.

I don't know the additive that is used I will have to ask our supplier as we get it pre treated.

Exhaust (carbon monoxide) is toxic / deadly regardless.

Chainbreaker

Many MVs driven home from auction have diesel older than a year at least in the tank, I have never heard of a problem for only a year or so.
There is a good possibility that the fuel used to fuel those MV's was already pretreated with a biocide. Fuel Technologies International claims to be a DOD supplier:

"...That is why the US military and leading aircraft authorities choose Microbicide 1.5 to protect their stored diesel fuel. Microbicide 1.5 is 100% biodegradable and uses the same active ingredients as are formulated in over 85 products registered with the US EPA. It is approved for use under MIL-S-53021 (along with fuel stabilizer LTSA-35A ) for use by all Departments and Agencies of the Department of Defense to protect fuel and equipment for intermediate and long periods of time."

Source: http://www.fueltechnologiesinternational.com/microbicide-15.html

robkiller

Is the drum going to remain sealed and then later opened and transferred via pump as needed or are you going to have it plumbed up to your generator via a drum adaptor kit or something like that (vented). Also, are we talking pure petro-diesel with no BioDiesel added? Regardless, since it is 55 gal I would add 1 oz of BioKleen, or other suitable brand biocide, as insurance plus any other additives you might normally use to help with lubricity, etc. Then you should be good for a year+.
It will be a none vinted close drum. Transfer will be done by a pump as needed to fill the main gen tank.wont have bio in it from my knowledge.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Many MVs driven home from auction have diesel older than a year at least in the tank, I have never heard of a problem for only a year or so.
Also, could be JP8 which cannot have any biodiesel in it, unlike commercial D2. Biodiesel has a higher affinity for water, allowing it to become cloudy after a year or two. This is why you should rotate diesel stocks.

Have two drums, one you fill from 5 gallon cans you purchase when filling up your daily driver, the other older drum you drain 5 gallons each time your daily driver is on empty. This way you always have 55 gallons on hand and it is all relatively fresh.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks