• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Bleeding a HEMTT

DrillerSurplus

Cause the fuel you filed it with will be unfiltered going straight to the IP

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I hadn't thought of that. I always try to make sure the container & spout or funnel I'm pouring from are clean, but it doesn't take much dirt to cause a problem.
I also agree with Coffey1 that most of it would be filtered, depending on style of filter. Hmmm!

Ford Mechanic

What! Ford it would be filtered once in cansiter it has to pull it through filter
Depends on the filter style, canisters with the replaceable element inside wouldn't be a problem. But in the screw on type the center where you would fill with fuel is actually the direct output.

In that situation your bypassing about a 9 micron filter. That is very small contaminants.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jjb

The MK48 has a primer near the racor. You could probably look at that setup and make something similar for the HEMTT.

mk48 fuel primer.jpg

bsteinborn

Thanks for all your help guys. One of the things that was unclear was if I was supposed to be pushing fuel into the filter housing with a primer pump OR pumping it out. Reading the earlier posts it is pumping the fuel out. I'd changed all the filters out on the same hot day. It wasn't until I turned over the HEMTT and it starting running rough that I'd realized I didn't fill the fuel filter with fresh fuel. It was a hot TX day and I guess I was in a hurry to finish the job. Didn't feel comfortable pressurizing the fuel tank and other guys made mention that priming the system is easy at the filter housing. So I went to the local auto parts store, bought a cheap $15 plastic transfer pump and one barbed fitting with a 1/4" MIP. Unscrewed the 1/4" pipe plug in the filter housing, attached the pump and pumped about 10 times before fuel came running out the end of the transfer pump. Put the 1/4" pipe plug back in the filter housing. Seconds later started up that big DD with no problems. It was cheap, fast and easy to prime the DD. Some days you gotta love the SS forums! Thanks again to all you who responded. Now I just have to wait and see if the Feds will allow me to keep that big beautiful HEMTT.

Bryan

dk8019

Well a good thread all and all, I filled mine when I changed them and I didn't even notice a hiccup, but that's been normal operation with the dozers and other diesel equipment. Good to know my little transfer pump can do the job if it ever comes to it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks