• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel bleeding problem

Matt Kahle

I'm having a fuel problem. I recently bought new glow plug relay because the old one was shot, but then I decided to replace the fuel filter. After replacing it, I attempted to bleed the system, but nothing happened over 20 tries. I even pulled the air screw, and applied air pressure to the fuel tank and nothing came out. I add a lot of fuel to the filter. It always seams to go down, then it want;s another table spoon of fuel...I'm betting thats the fuel going back to the tank? I just don't know if its the lift pump or another problem.

Okie Cowboy

I was having same problems with my 1009. I got length of fuel line and a marine bulb pump. I installed couple squeezes fire it up check for leaks drive on.
i got the pump from Wally World couple hose clamps and 1 foot of fuel line takes about 10 min. You just need to make sure fuel flow direction is right.

The truck will run with a non functioning fuel pump, you may have just uncovered that you have a bad lift pump.
When I bleed my system it takes about 5-10 seconds for the fuel to shoot out of the filter housing.

Matt Kahle

I haven't fixed it yet, but i believe i know what and how the problem is. The truck hasn't run in 8 months, and a long time back I had burned bio-diesel, which is great for eating rubber stuff. Recently I put bad diesel into the tank by mistake, I pulled it out, and thats when I attempted bleeding, and then I realized that I couldn't bleed it. Knowing that the lift pump may have a rubber diaphragm in there, I think that the bio-fuel plus bad diesel may have eaten that rubber in the lift pump. What I'm going to do now is, pull the pump and check it to be sure there's no suction from the pump. While the pumps off I will hand pump fuel from the line that connects to the lift pump, I just want to check it to be sure there's no blockage. It just annoys me that I think of this now, and not before.

Matt Kahle

I just had a thought, if my fuel pump turns out to be okay and it works. Isn't there a check valve in the fuel line, what is the possibility of it clogging?

Matt Kahle

Okay I finely pulled the lift pump as far as I could......anyway I squeezed the lever and I could hear fuel being pushed to the filter. So then I pressured the fuel tank again with air, and here's where it gets fun. I could hear fuel/air gurgling. I do have fuel in the tank about 4 gallons. I can get fuel squirting out of the hose that i use to fill the tank with air, but not out of the line going to the lift pump......what could be the problem? Maybe the line going down into the tank is damaged?

Matt Kahle

Does any one have any input they could give me? I dont want to pull the fuel tank for it to lead to another dead end. Any help will be appreciated.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gravity feed the fuel pump to see if it is working properly.

If it is, you should be able to bleed the air at the fuel filter and the truck should run. This means you have no fuel getting to the lift pump.

If you can not get fuel out of the filter, your lift pump is bad.

You may have more than one point of failure. No fuel to the lift pump and possibly the lift pump is not functioning properly.

Try blowing air from the lift pump to the tank to see if that line is clear.

Matt Kahle

Um If you read above, I had done that. I applied air pressure to the fuel tank and all i could see and hear was fuel bubbleing and a few drops of fuel spitting out, I did this 3 times. There is fuel in the tank, about 3 gallons.

Matt Kahle

To be honest no I haven't done that yet, I will now that you have said it. I'm sorry I should have went through your reply more carefully, I'm just kinda aggravated by this problem. I will test this tomorrow after I get out of work, and I will report my results.

CUCVLOVER

Try removing the fuel line that goes from the tank to the lift pump, them hook up a section of fuel line to the the pump intake, stick the new line in a mike jug full of fuel. Then bleed the system and try to start. So if the fuel pump moves fuel it's not bad, if the bleeding procedure works and the truck runs your problem is fuel getting to the lift pump.

Also does your fuel filter housing have the hose the fuel should come out of when you bleed the system?
Hope this helps

Csm Davis

Okay I finely pulled the lift pump as far as I could......anyway I squeezed the lever and I could hear fuel being pushed to the filter. So then I pressured the fuel tank again with air, and here's where it gets fun. I could hear fuel/air gurgling. I do have fuel in the tank about 4 gallons. I can get fuel squirting out of the hose that i use to fill the tank with air, but not out of the line going to the lift pump......what could be the problem? Maybe the line going down into the tank is damaged?
This sounds like a bad pickup in the tank and or 3 gallons is not a lot of fuel may not have enough in the tank to be picked up.

Matt Kahle

Well I have the line off the lift pump at the moment, thats where the air was bubbleing like I stated above.....but I think I'm going to go what what the both of your ideas. I'm going to put an additional 5 gallons in the fuel tank, and I'm going to suck the fuel up to the line where it conects to the lift pump, if that works ill conect it to the lift pump and check it, to see if it works. Then if that works, try to bleed the fuel housing again :D I'll report my findings tomorrow after work, and ill take pictures of what I have going on now, and what I'm doing while I go along.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sounds like a bad pickup in the tank and or 3 gallons is not a lot of fuel may not have enough in the tank to be picked up.
I agree 3 gallons is not enough fuel in tank to prime system. I have experienced this on a M1009. More fuel in tank will probably help.

Matt Kahle

Well I'm a moron.....I put more fuel in it, and I got fuel out of the line that conects to the fuel pump, dang I should have thought of that, because now I have to put a new fuel line to the fuel pump, I tore it when I unbolted it. As for the lift pump, it works I put if on my work bentch and put the rubber hose in a cup of fuel and squezed the lever and fuel almost hits my face :-/, at lest I know it works. I will put a new line in and report what happens next.