• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel burning heater, voltage dependent?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Stewart Warner heater uses a series of resistors with positive temperature coefficients to regulate the voltage to the igniter and fan motor. Higher voltage results in higher temperature (higher power dissipation) and higher voltage drop. The Benmar heater, which I'm "playing" with on the 8x8, uses a simple voltage dropping resistor, so the voltage applied to its igniter and motor, varies with the battery voltage...

I noticed yesterday that the Benmar heater started more reliably when the engine was running and producing 28 volts.
Suggestion, if you have trouble starting your heater, try a higher supply voltage (28 vs 24 volts).

Also, if you heater doesn't start, you may be dumping raw fuel into the combustion chamber. For a properly calibrated control valve, this can amount to 1/2 cup (about 100 cc) in 5 minutes. If it starts with this much fuel, the combustion will be out of control and the unit will shut down on its own due to overheating. That's why the TM says to have the heater serviced when it doesn't start properly.
That's right, my playing around with it dumped a lot of fuel into the combustion chamber and running it repeatedly to try to burn off this extra fuel, just caused it to shut down on its own. I'll be working on getting it cleaned now...probably on the work bench...aua

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks