• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel can mounts 1028/1031 body

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does anyone out there have the fuel can mod on the rear of their maint. body , I need to know what the internal reinforcement looks like and what material was used , also looking for the small torch bottle mounts used on some of the 1031 trucks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't help you with your questions but the doors have latches for securing them in the open position during transit. With the cans mounted there, you can't do that. FYI.

acmunro

My fuel can mount is in the front compartment behind the driver, so I can't help you there, but I may have the cylinder mounts you are looking for.

MARCO1031

Take a look at the pics of my truck. Somewhere along the line 4 fuel can mounts were placed n the back of the body, I haven't used them yet but I plan on leaving them in place. If I want the back doors open during travel I have to bungee them open by hooking a cord to one of the handles on the sides of the body. They stay put fine. The brackets seem to be very secure so I don't foresee a problem with carrying four full cans. Hope this helps.

Attachments

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Shawn, what did they use to reinforce the mount on the inside of the box for the gas can bracket and the footmen loop, steel or aluminum plate, and how large ?, you have a nice clean truck, interesting bumper mod on yours,where did yours come out of, and to acmunro, let me know if you have some of those bottle mounts,
regards Frank

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless those fuel/water can mounts are WELL reinforced on the inside of the box, after a while, they WILL start to destroy the aluminum box they are mounted to. 45# per mount bouncing around will cause damage over the long term. We dealt allot with this when I was in.

There was no offical MWO for the can mounts, so you wont find it in a TM. Just pretend your a resourceful military mechanic that has some fabrication skills, and conjure something up. Thats what my mechanics did..

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JB, I've seen those pics also, I like the way the cans are mounted below the passenger side box. Of course you cannot do that to the older M887 bodies as they extend further down.

By the way, what's up with your "join date" in your avitar? 1969 is way before Al Gore invented the internet.

JB

319 Don't know about the join date. I guess I joined before I was born. I think it is an anomaly from converting from the old site. There are a few others with the same date too.

Last edited:

MARCO1031

Frank, The brackets are installed with 3/8 bolts, washers, and self locking nuts. They didn't put any reinforcement plates behind the brackets so I don't think they would hold up with a continuous load on rough terrain. I need to pull mine off at some point to repaint them and I think I will put a backer plate on the inside to beef them up a little. My truck came from NC via a Forrest Service auction through a buyer in Birmingham AL. Aside from some weather related damage the truck is pristine. The engine compartment looks like it just came off the assembly line. As for the bumper my best guess is that the original bumper delivered with the 1031 chassis was requisitioned for another truck and when they got around to putting this body on it they had to fabricate a new one. It is just a simple piece of 6" by 1/4" channel. I kinda wish it the bumper had tie down D rings but maybe I'll add those in the future. ~Shawn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks