• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel cap questions

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was helping another member with a broke down truck and he asked me about his fuel cap. Has anyone seen this? Any idea what the cause is(other than a chemical reaction)?

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Mine has a little of that. It looks like copper corrosion. Maybe some moisture at one time? I wonder if all the modern diesel emissions additives cause that.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is common on brass and bronze, usually older military trucks have steel caps and we didn't see it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the Internet says....

Green or Blue Corrosion

• Green or blue corrosion is the most common corrosion to brass that does not result from an oxidation reaction. The green or blue patinas are formed when cupric oxide, which forms the black patina, reacts with sulfur dioxide or carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The green or blue corrosion is more commonly seen on pure copper, such as the green patina of the Statue of Liberty, but it still does form on brass in the same manner.

Read more: What Is the Rust on Brass Fittings? | eHow http://www.ehow.com/info_12119033_rust-brass-fittings.html#ixzz2Ud1hVU6N

http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/caringfor-prendresoindes/articles/metals-metaux/index-eng.aspx

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+blue+corrosion+on+brass

Last edited:
Just for the record, I was the broke down man. Left one parade and was on my way to another when the truck just died in a uppity suburb of Cincinnati right next to a Starbucks. Seeing my trucks (my son in the 925 and me in the 923) caused such a stir. With all the BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus' and Prius' driving by must have unsettled them. Minutes later the local LEO arrived, luckily he was a former artillery officer and very interested in my trucks. Apparently a yuppie was concerned if there was some military operation about to happen...

Thankfully, the Calvary arrived to rescue me from yuppieville...well, actually it was Gimpyrobb...with a slave and tow bar! Many thanks to him!!!

As for the bluish-green crap, I'll brush if off (thanks for info Doghead!).

Many thanks again to Gimpy (and his brain trust from the SS community!). Problem solved!

ryan77

That is the same corrosion etc you see in a copper plumbing waste and vent system usually in the vent pipes worse with a septic tank due to the Acidic fumes!

Smokinyoda

After finding out they are made of brass/bronze it makes sense. Didn't realize they weren't steel anymore. I guess they did this to eliminate a spark issue... but that shouldn't have been an issue with diesel.