• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel, contaminated, odd...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Similar, but no. Those are primary and only filter to 30 micron.

These are just the header and filter, no fancy accessories.

Beyond Biodiesel

Just a bit of an update on this matter:
I've set up my 1.5" pump with a beta systems filter assembly and a goldenrod water block filter assembly in line and have been recirculating the fuel in one pod. The fuel is clearing up and I am going through about one goldenrod filter every hour I run it. It seems that most of the contamination is indeed suspended water. At $18 per filter it is getting expensive, but not as expensive as fuel. I just don't understand how it went from clean clear fuel to being this full of water in two days, especially with the tank being full. I've never had this problem before.
Edit: I have also installed one of the giant fuel tank tampons and am seeing no results with it. There is no water settled out on the bottom of the tank. I feel like I wasted $75 bucks on it.
Good to know that you found a solution. I do not know how the water got into your fuel pod. Another possible solution is using a Banjo. LS200.jpg2" PP Y STRAINER WITH 120 MESH SS SCREEN I have used them for 7 years now, and I am very happy them. When the plug up, or you are done, then you can easily drain the sediments out of them. The 2" is standard, but they have them smaller, if you want. I find they are perfect for trapping water out of my waste oils.

Beyond Biodiesel

Another option for removing water from a large quantity of fuel is to purchase a few pounds of silica gel, and put it into a nylon stocking, and tie a robe around the end of the stocking, then lower the stocking down into the bottom of the fuel pod, then just leave it there over night. Next morning pull the stocking out, and your fuel will most probably be dry. Drain the silica gel then dry it for the next time you need a desiccant.

Jeepsinker

Like I mentioned, I do have one of the reusable large fuel tank tampons in the tank as we speak. It isn't doing squat so far. It would help if the water would settle out of the fuel but it is staying in suspension. This is why I'm having to use the water absorbing filters for the goldenrod housing. There isn't even any water settling out into the bottom of the water separator since I eliminated the water bottom in the tank, just stopping up the filter elements. And it is for sure water because the used filter elements won't even burn. I fueled my deuce from this tank yesterday, got clear fuel out of the nozzle, drove to town and back to pick up a couple more filters (52 miles round trip) then let the truck idle all day today powering the pump and haven't had an issue with the truck, so I believe the filter setup is working. So the 120 mesh screen will remove water suspended in the fuel?

Captaincarrier

Just a bit of an update on this matter:
I've set up my 1.5" pump with a beta systems filter assembly and a goldenrod water block filter assembly in line and have been recirculating the fuel in one pod. The fuel is clearing up and I am going through about one goldenrod filter every hour I run it. It seems that most of the contamination is indeed suspended water. At $18 per filter it is getting expensive, but not as expensive as fuel. I just don't understand how it went from clean clear fuel to being this full of water in two days, especially with the tank being full. I've never had this problem before.
Edit: I have also installed one of the giant fuel tank tampons and am seeing no results with it. There is no water settled out on the bottom of the tank. I feel like I wasted $75 bucks on it.
Your fuel has emulsified - the free water has been blended into the fuel and the separation will require expensive filtration media.

When we clean tanks and fuel we implement "T.A.C.T.", Test, Analyze, Clean and Treat.

profo

Jeep sinker the easiest way to remove water from diesel or gas is a centrifuge this is a bowl that spends and since water is heavier than fuel it will go to the outside of the centrifuge there are some that goes on trucks to filter while driving but there is some that you can pickup cheap from oilfield guys will try to find you one. What you definitely have is bio disel in your fuel that is the fatty residue of biodiesel, I have made my own bio diesel in the past and if you don't get separation to drop if forms white paste in the fuel that clogs fuel filters you can also sometime just warm fuel to about 120 digress and it may clear up.

Jeepsinker

Yes indeed, I found that heating it in a turkey pot over an MBU works exceedingly well. All o my fuel is now clean and clear again. Took a long time doing four gallons at a time though, even though it only took a few minutes for each batch to come up to temp.
It was really cool seeing the fuel turn crystal clear right before my eyes.

profo

Easiest way is use a electric water heater you just fill it up leave the hot water outlet open to the air so water vapor can evaporate set themostat at 120 leave for about a day then drain from bottom! Or if you want to spend some money look into Dieselcraft.com they got all kinds of stuff if you got $$$$$$$$.

Marty

Last edited:

Bo1

Jeepsinker,
This might help for future issues. I made my own bio-diesel for about 3 years out of waste veggie oil. I had to "cook" it in a hot water tank, add a mixture of methanol and lye, and let it settle. After draining off the glycerin, I would pump it into a 55 gallon drum for washing. After washing with a mister spraying water on the top of the "fuel" for a few hours, I would pump it into another 55 gallon drum for drying. This is where you might benefit next time.
In order to dry the fuel (get all of the water out of it), I put a bubbler (copper ring with tiny holes drilled in it) in the bottom of the barrel with minimal air pressure coming through. Then I pumped the fuel out of the bottom of the barrel, and back into the top of the same barrel, making sure that the nozzle pointed at the inside wall to create some splash. After pumping for 2 to 3 hours, the fuel came out clear and completely "dried". This might be a possibility for you to try if you run into this problem again.

Thanks,
Bo

Another Ahab

Jeepsinker,
This might help for future issues. I made my own bio-diesel for about 3 years out of waste veggie oil. I had to "cook" it in a hot water tank, add a mixture of methanol and lye, and let it settle. After draining off the glycerin, I would pump it into a 55 gallon drum for washing. After washing with a mister spraying water on the top of the "fuel" for a few hours, I would pump it into another 55 gallon drum for drying. This is where you might benefit next time.
There a formula?

Bo1

Yes, and it all depends on the PH of the oil you are using. I will have to look at my notes. My oil at the time came from one place, so I only had to check it every 8 or 10 batches to make sure it had not changed much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks