• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel delivery issue M1123 ,Crank no start .....help?!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I normally would not say that the fuel must be changed because I have never seen diesel gum up things, I have a little dozer I just brought back to life after almost ten years sitting in a pasture, fuel is just as clear and clean as it started, good thing too as there was about 20 gallons in it, it runs fine.
BUT after your experience where the JP has gummed things up as evidence of the stuck linkage confirms I would definitely change fuel (and filters again) before continuing, without evidence of corrosion I would not give up just yet (nothing to loose at this point anyway but time)
Then if you did "give up" I would also change filters again before installing a new IP and possibly drop the tank for a thorough cleaning, filters are cheap, unfortunately because of the crack heads at AMG not so easy to change.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I normally would not say that the fuel must be changed because I have never seen diesel gum up things, I have a little dozer I just brought back to life after almost ten years sitting in a pasture, fuel is just as clear and clean as it started, good thing too as there was about 20 gallons in it, it runs fine.
BUT after your experience where the JP has gummed things up as evidence of the stuck linkage confirms I would definitely change fuel (and filters again) before continuing, without evidence of corrosion I would not give up just yet (nothing to loose at this point anyway but time)
Then if you did "give up" I would also change filters again before installing a new IP and possibly drop the tank for a thorough cleaning, filters are cheap, unfortunately because of the crack heads at AMG not so easy to change.
I did add new fuel to old fuel and put diesel Kleen in it. Fuel coming out water separator valve looks clean and it looks good coming out of filter canister. I was thinking that if I can get it freed up it should be able to burn it. My m1123 sat for 20 years and not a problem with it

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been letting it soak in diesel Kleen and I have been turning it over a few times a day. I drained it out of ip and put fresh cleaner in. I put everything back together and I cranked on it for 12 seconds or so and I now have fuel coming out of the return line. It filled up my clear line in a short time. I will keep messing with it and tomorrow I will put fresh fuel in it and try to bleed injection lines. I have with help been able to fix 2 pretty big issues with the ip.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds good! IF you start getting fuel out of the injection lines, pull the power to the IP and make sure it stops while cranking before tightening up the lines.

Humveegene

Well ladies and gentlemen It’s time to start playing taps for my injector pump. Finally got it open and this is what I found after sucking all the fuel out that was not getting to the injectors. My hats off to the wonderful last mechanic at Barstow that must’ve lost two bolts to connect the throttle bracket to the IP And decided to improvise with longer ones.Time to start shopping.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well ladies and gentlemen It’s time to start playing taps for my injector pump. Finally got it open and this is what I found after sucking all the fuel out that was not getting to the injectors. My hats off to the wonderful last mechanic at Barstow that must’ve lost two bolts to connect the throttle bracket to the IP And decided to improvise with longer ones.Time to start shopping.
Sorry man,,, THAT SUCKS!!
I guess the question now is did it jam up down in the governor housing and bust a key in the cam gear...
Actually that piece you have in your hand looks like it came out of the gov. housing.
EDIT, but what an opportunity for us ALL to learn!!

Humveegene

The black piece is part of the wiring connector in the cover that broke off I don’t think that got in there but there are some metal filings in the chamber.

Attachments

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Sorry man,,, THAT SUCKS!!
I guess the question now is did it jam up down in the governor housing and bust a key in the cam gear...
Actually that piece you have in your hand looks like it came out of the gov. housing.
EDIT, but what an opportunity for us ALL to learn!!

This is a different rig, PUMP and Solider..............

What a F ing MESS. That sucks. It could be salvage BUT best to bite the bullet on a new / rebuild IP. That part is the insulation plastic off the solenoid.

Question ??? Can you see the flywheel vanes spin when cranking?

Not a fun day to run into this. I feel for YA man, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a different rig, PUMP and Solider..............

What a F ing MESS. That sucks. It could be salvage BUT best to bite the bullet on a new / rebuild IP. That part is the insulation plastic off the solenoid.

Question ??? Can you see the flywheel vanes spin when cranking?

Not a fun day to run into this. I feel for YA man, CAMO
I was afraid to ask him to spin it again..Maybe by hand, do not test the fates!!

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I was afraid to ask him to spin it again..Maybe by hand, do not test the fates!!
There's a gummed up pump in Vegas (Maxjeep) and this latest one (Humveegene) with the throttle cable bracket bolts punched thur the housing, add with a broken solenoid power feed thru post.

Buying tip of the week. Non runners... RUN AWAY, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may give it a try….live dangerously and take chances right…and they trusted me with thermal Nuclear weapons !
Well if you happened to have disturbed the pieces that were broken off in the pump and it seizes while you are cranking it it could shear the camshaft key (If it already hasn't) then you get to take the entire front of the motor apart to fix it, seems like a foolish game of Russian Roulette to me, I hope you did not do that with the nukes....

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just called a local rebuilder that was listed on Stanadyne website. He said anywhere from 1,500 to 5,000 to rebuild mine. I told him that a brand new pump was 2,100 and he said well you would be saving 600.00
I would never pay that to have mine rebuilt. Rebuild kit is less than 100.00 from what I have seen.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep looking, the shop in Victoria TX, one of the only shops around here that still rebuilds the DB2 charges 7-900 which is still high, the diesel shop in Corpus said they can get one exchange for 650.
Yes what they charge is absurd, not that much to them but because it is one of those magical things they can charge out the wazoo

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Keep looking, the shop in Victoria TX, one of the only shops around here that still rebuilds the DB2 charges 7-900 which is still high, the diesel shop in Corpus said they can get one exchange for 650.
Yes what they charge is absurd, not that much to them but because it is one of those magical things they can charge out the wazoo
IMO... the IP is not that big of a deal. The magic trick is revealed by studying up, manuals, TM's, exploded views, UTubes, understand all the bits. Couple of special tools ? a clean and organized bench. Not much more than the old days of a carburetor rebuilds. Remember those? Check balls rolling around HAHA.

Labor / skill to rebuild...not to bad. After the rebuild... IP Calibration of fuel delivery, timing and governor set up. That machine is the big ticket money maker that as to be paid for if one wants it right.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
With increased sales and a bit lower bids dollars to win the surplus HMMWV you always wanted... this MAY be a good deal? I count 75 units a week up for bid. Check me on that if i missed something, but it's a LOT.

For 50 years a "Junk yard Dog" here. Surplus uses to be a good deal. It added to the quality of all my hobbies. Got it for "Pennies on the dollar" we would say to justify the item and to hold off the boss. LOL. Jump forward and all the increases of damm near everything...wages, transportation shipping, overhead and the list goes on and on... putting a squeeze on the "good deal for pennies" Part are parts and prices are way up uP UP. So are Big Mac's.

Turning wrenches in the driveway is about the only way... HumV, fun, and hobby is going to work. Save your pennies for parts and fuel.

Sticker shock parts, shocking bids and government surplus...Didn't uses to be that way,

Just another storytime and bandwidth burner with, CAMO

Back to work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks