• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel delivery issue M1123 ,Crank no start .....help?!

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will post pics of the inside of ip tomorrow when I drain it. I need to figure out why I was getting fuel out of return and now it stopped. Fuel that came out of filter looks clean. View attachment 870777
Original fuel??????? The color could indicate "offroad" fuel.............. Any solids in the bottle???? Back to my original point.... fuel then no fuel..... Start at one end (the tank) and make "sure" everything is clean and unobstructed. If you have recently changed then filter I would open up the canister and eyeball it again. Just my 2 cents.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original fuel??????? The color could indicate "offroad" fuel.............. Any solids in the bottle???? Back to my original point.... fuel then no fuel..... Start at one end (the tank) and make "sure" everything is clean and unobstructed. If you have recently changed then filter I would open up the canister and eyeball it again. Just my 2 cents.
I believe it to be off-road fuel. I have removed the check valves near the fuel tank and I’m going back thru everything again. I will have some pics of the inside of the ip

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opened it up and this is how it looks once I got the fuel out. I sprayed carb cleaner in it and I will let it soak. I have a pressure can coming tomorrow and I will try to send fuel into it at 90 psi… that’s all I can do and I will say it’s done if that doesn’t work. Probably should’ve called it done as RWH said long ago! I have more time then money right now… 0412A376-B623-403A-A11F-587DA4D6B31E.jpeg

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opened it up and this is how it looks once I got the fuel out. I sprayed carb cleaner in it and I will let it soak. I have a pressure can coming tomorrow and I will try to send fuel into it at 90 psi… that’s all I can do and I will say it’s done if that doesn’t work. Probably should’ve called it done as RWH said long ago! I have more time then money right now… View attachment 870810
At least you are not afraid of TOOLS............. you get brownie points!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opened it up and this is how it looks once I got the fuel out. I sprayed carb cleaner in it and I will let it soak. I have a pressure can coming tomorrow and I will try to send fuel into it at 90 psi… that’s all I can do and I will say it’s done if that doesn’t work. Probably should’ve called it done as RWH said long ago! I have more time then money right now… View attachment 870810
Look in post #8 first picture, I do not think the spring in the bottom of THIS picture should be compressed with the cover off, looks like the linkage is in stop position.
EDIT, you can also see this in the linkage in the upper left of THIS picture, it should be closer to the throttle shaft. I think.....

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was probably pretty easy to get the cover back on with the linkage in that position..
It went on easy and it had a little tension on it when I slid it towards the rear of the engine.
I looked at pics in post #8 and I’m not sure if I understand. What would that cause?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The governor linkage looks a bit bent and metering valve in a hard clockwise position ?? Likely gummed up metering valve and more. Are those parts free to move wiggle and giggle. Terms for proper movement.

Stuck and this IP sucks, CAMO

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the pics I posted in #8 that "tab" is what the run/stop solenoid pushes on to stop the engine, it looks like it is in the stop position, see if you can gently get that "tab" closer to the throttle shaft, should almost be touching and see if that spring gets uncompressed.
EDIT, that tab pushes against the run/stop solenoid, all the run/stop solenoid does is push it into the stop position, it is up to that linkage to go into the run position when the solenoid stops pushing on it, it is spring loaded and is not "pulled" into the run position by the solenoid.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The governor linkage looks a bit bent and metering valve in a hard clockwise position ?? Are those parts free to move wiggle and giggle. Terms for proper movement.

Stuck and this IP sucks, CAMO
I see what you are saying, that linkage is pretty sloppy and we normally do not see it trying to compress the spring with the top off, so maybe just stuck, fingers crossed..

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The round shaft is the throttle shaft I speak of.
That linkage was froze solid and I couldn’t get any movement out of it. I gently moved it back and forth and finally it broke loose and I could see how it should work and what you were telling me. I put it back together and cranked on it awhile and still no fuel out of the return line. Tomorrow I will take ip cap off and see how much fuel was pumped into it. I want to thank you for noticing that I had a problem with it. Camo was kind enough to walk me thru the process and he never once called me Dummy! I think it’s gummed up somewhere else that’s not letting enough fuel in. I haven’t given up yet

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That linkage was froze solid and I couldn’t get any movement out of it. I gently moved it back and forth and finally it because loose and I could see how it should work and what you were telling me. I put it back together and cranked on it awhile and still no fuel out of the return line. Tomorrow I will take ip cap off and see how much fuel was pumped into it. I want to thank you for noticing that I had a problem with it. Camo was kind enough to walk me thru the process and he never once called me Dummy! I think it’s gummed up somewhere else that’s not letting enough fuel in. I haven’t given up yet
Something to watch out for with "NON RUNNERS" Could be this could be that...Could be anything. I know good deals can be had on nice non runners... BUT it's a crap shoot... SO plan on getting wrenches and wallet out with finger crossed. The gang here working hard to get another HumV back on the road. Clear info, and pictures tell a lot, so try and include them if you can.

IP pump is the heart IMO to the diesel engine. Lots of precision ports and passageways to clog up after sitting 10 years. These old diesel engines can be a learning experience for new and old owners alike. HOOah

SO keep it moving or one will get all clogged up, CAMO

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know this "gumming up" crap must have something to do with JP fuel, I have never seen this with diesel.
maybe whatever they put in to winterize it or otherwise condition for high altitude flight, we do not get winterized fuel this far south.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I put the cap on last night I could see the bottom of the ip. I just pulled it off and fuel was flush with the lid. So I’m getting some fuel but not enough to come out of the return. Linkage is moving freely still.

papakb

Got to agree with Mogman about gummed up components being a function of JP fuels. When I originally got my truck 20 years ago the wreck had been sitting behind a Cal Fire station for over 5 years and who knows how long it sat at DRMO before that. After it arrived in San Jose it sat for another 6 months because parts weren't available back then and it took that long to collect what I needed. I debated trying to start it and just decided that if it would start that would be great and if bad fuel hosed the IP I'd worry about that when it happened. Two new batteries , a wing and a prayer and after about 6 turns it started and ran on the old crappy fuel it came home with. I've always used an addative called D2 in it and remember the first tims I put it into the tank. I could hear the "diesel rattle" immediately quite down. I never believed in addatives but this stuff amazed me and I still use it. The moral of this story is that old diesel can still run and not crap thing up!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I put the cap on last night I could see the bottom of the ip. I just pulled it off and fuel was flush with the lid. So I’m getting some fuel but not enough to come out of the return. Linkage is moving freely still.
At this point I would drain and replace the fuel, you would be very smart (need) to do that before installing a new IP anyway.
Does your truck have an inspection plate over the fuel tank?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this point I would drain and replace the fuel, you would be very smart (need) to do that before installing a new IP anyway.
Does your truck have an inspection plate over the fuel tank?
I don’t know? I will have to remove the ac and the wood that it sits on. I have a good volume of fuel coming from the supply off of the filter canister. You are right because I don’t want to kill new pump

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks