• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Delivery Issues, Part 3

Vhyle

So now I got the new fuel pump pushrod and new pump installed. After cranking a lot, and sucking air out of the system with a Mity Vac, it finally runs!

But now, I have 3 or 4 leaks at various fuel injectors. I did crack them open before to aid bleeding. After tightening them all up, I still have these leaks.

So now, my next move is to loosen them all up and check the fittings for cleanliness and proper sealing. Some of them look like the leaks are coming from under the fittings, some of them coming from the rubber drainback tubes (which a few of them look pretty shotty), and some of them look like it may be coming from the injector itself, closer to the heads.

Has anyone else had this issue? I didn't take the lines off at all; I simply loosened them a bit. I looked at the TM to see if there were any sort of washers that may have been messed up during the process, but the only washers I see go between the injectors and the heads. I want to try all possible, simple diagnostics before I rule out the injectors themselves being bad. I don't think that's the issue anyway, since they didn't leak before.

Vhyle

Yeah I'm leaning more and more towards something that was caused by me. I just need the time to diagnose it. I seriously doubt a new mechanical fuel pump would cause 4 injectors to suddenly start leaking. It doesn't make sense.

I should go ahead and replace the drainback tubes, though. That's only a few bucks. On my truck, you can look at them funny and they slip off of the injectors.

scottladdy

... I should go ahead and replace the drainback tubes, though. That's only a few bucks. On my truck, you can look at them funny and they slip off of the injectors.
I'm going to bet that this is at least part of your issue. Places like Badger Diesel sell a diesel return line that you simply push on the injector nipples without those awfully frustrating teeny tiny clamps. I've used the Badger stuff and it works great. Made in Germany. Can even remove and reinstall very easily if needed.

I also saw a writeup on a popular truck magazine web site that said they replaced the flexible return lines with regular small diameter fuel hose. I can't remember what size, but seem to recall 1/4" was used. Please double check as I don't trust my memory on this one.

scottladdy

Would teflon tape on the fittings be a bad idea?
Very bad indeed.

Can you post pics please? Maybe even a video of the leaks?

Make sure you didn't cross thread the fittings when you re-installed. These are very simple compression type fittings that work very well. How many injectors are actually leaking?

Vhyle

Very bad indeed.

Can you post pics please? Maybe even a video of the leaks?

Make sure you didn't cross thread the fittings when you re-installed. These are very simple compression type fittings that work very well. How many injectors are actually leaking?
Actually, I was out there earlier investigating. I started poking my attention at the drainback hoses between the injectors, and a lot of them are barely hanging on for dear life. I pulled them off and a lot of them have enlarged openings and splits in the hose ends. Plus they're pretty soaked. So what I'm doing is cutting off the bad ends and re-inserting the hoses. It's a much tighter fit now. I haven't finished it yet because I had to come inside and take care of other stuff. I'm starting to think this is my problem. THey didn't leak before I cracked the fittings open, but perhaps the wrench putting pressure on those hoses during the bleeding process is probably what did them in.

I'll finish it up and post up a result. If I still have leaks, I'll make a video.

Vhyle

Ok, an update.

Looks like each of these little hoses were replaced already, by NAPA 1/8 fuel hose. These things are too small, and they keep tearing during reinstall. I looked up the hose p/n from the TM and it turns out these are oddball size hoses. I can't find the inner diameter listed anywhere! And also, NONE of my drainback hoses have clamps. So I think I found my problem.

EDIT: The said p/n is 14066305

scottladdy

Ok, an update.

Looks like each of these little hoses were replaced already, by NAPA 1/8 fuel hose. These things are too small, and they keep tearing during reinstall. I looked up the hose p/n from the TM and it turns out these are oddball size hoses. I can't find the inner diameter listed anywhere! And also, NONE of my drainback hoses have clamps. So I think I found my problem.

EDIT: The said p/n is 14066305
Excellent news! I was expecting this to be your issue.

NAPA: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NDP7002369_0375768315
Dorman: 904101

Or, you can order the hose from Badger I mentioned before. All about the same price.

Vhyle

cpf240

Some here are using the tygon, I think that is what is called, fuel line that you can get at remote control hobby stores and perhaps chainsaw repair shops. It is supposed to stand up to a lot of different fuels, etc, and comes in translucent colors so you can see if there is air in the lines.

Vhyle

Replaced the hoses with 5/32 hoses, and now it doesn't leak a drop. We're good to go. I had to go with 5/32 because apparently no parts stores around here carry anything smaller than that. But they still fit tight, and the flared ends on the nipples grab them pretty well.

scottladdy

Replaced the hoses with 5/32 hoses, and now it doesn't leak a drop. We're good to go. I had to go with 5/32 because apparently no parts stores around here carry anything smaller than that. But they still fit tight, and the flared ends on the nipples grab them pretty well.
Huzzah! I'll bet your glad that is over with.

Please report how the 5/32 line holds up over time.

That line I picked up from Badger is really easy to install and is holding up very well. It has a woven fabric outer covering that seems to keep it tight and protected from abrasion. I plan on replacing the injectors in my M1009 as soon as it starts to warm up around here. Going to buy some extra return line at the same time so I have it on hand.

Now, get out and drive her! :driver:

Vhyle

Well, the 5/32 didn't hold up that long. After a few days, they started leaking. Although I should admit that I didn't use fuel tubing - I used vacuum lines. So they swelled up from the fuel contact, on top of being 1/32 bigger than the OE fuel tubing. Don't shun me, I know it won't hold up to fuel, but I had to go with that stuff because it was my ONLY option at the time. It was a temporary fix.

Now, nobody local has 1/8 fuel tubing, at all. Why is this stuff so hard to find? I'd really rather not order the GM kit that comes with the tubes and clamps, when I can spend a lot less on bulk tubing.

EDIT: I know that the Tygon r/c car tubing was mentioned before, and that looks like it might be my only option, if someone has it locally. Besides, it looks cooler than black tubing!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just fix it with the right parts.

scottladdy

Vhyle, I'm sorry, I don't intend any insult with this. But, you are putting way too much energy into avoiding buying the right parts. If you had ordered the parts as soon as you knew what was wrong, NAPA could have gotten them to you by now. If you ordered the tubing from Badger you would have had the no clamp stuff on your doorstep. And I'm sure you could have gotten the kit from RockAuto by now as well.

I think a very wise individual once said, "If it's electrical, clean it. If it's rubber, replace it"

Vhyle

The only reason I didn't go about this the right way is because of my current financial situation, which I'd rather not get into. I'm not intentionally avoiding doing the repairs properly, I simply didn't have another choice at the time. I've been turning wrenches for a decade; trust me, I'm well aware of fixing things the right way and the wrong way.

toyrunner95

The only reason I didn't go about this the right way is because of my current financial situation, which I'd rather not get into. I'm not intentionally avoiding doing the repairs properly, I simply didn't have another choice at the time. I've been turning wrenches for a decade; trust me, I'm well aware of fixing things the right way and the wrong way.
I hear that! Mines held together macgyver style! Duct tape, bailing wire, and a ball point pen. U think the fuel lines are hard? Try having to recreate the throttle cable at 2am in a 24hr Lowes parking lot with a leather man and a dead flashlight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks