• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Drain Back hose replacement

nudewheeler

TM 9-2320-289-20

3-18. FUEL DRAINBACK HOSES REPLACEMENT.

Came to work today and luckily the pavement was went. Backed into a parking spot and found a fair bit of oil on the wet parking lot. Opened the hood and there was something leaking fairly substantially on the passenger side of the engine bay.

I am in the middle of putting the ODIron AC kit in, and needed to extend a fuel drainback hose (to go around the AC compressor bracket) from the front most injector on the passenger side to the drainback pipe on the front of the motor returning the fuel to the injector pump. I used some crappy vacuum line for this extension. Guess that didn't work out too well, because it leaked a fair bit.

It seems as though all of the fuel drainback lines on the passenger side were replaced with some rubber tubing before I purchased the vehicle. Looks as though the driver side drainback hoses are original. The originals are made of some woven fabric to create lines.

I need to replace this front most leaking fuel feedback line with something that will hold. I would like to replace the others with some line that more resembles the original lines.

• Does anyone know the proper hose/tubing to use for the fuel drainback hoses?
  • Anyone have pictures of what clamps (number 7) are used for the fuel drainback hoses on the injectors? (Install 6 drainback hoses (3) with 12 clamps (7). ) - page 3-56 TM 20
  • Can anyone provide pictures of the caps installed on the rear injectors? Install 2 caps (1) and clamps (2) at 2 rear injector nozzles (4) if removed. - page 3-56 TM 20

Any other suggestions how to secure the drainback lines to the injectors? Not sure hose clamps will work..

So, what fuel drainback hose to use, how to fasten them, and pictures of functioning setups.

Thanks a million

Attachments

nudewheeler

Explanation of the photos:

Photo.jpg - connection of hoses 8 and 5 on page 3-59 TM-20
Photo (1).jpg - picture of engine bay coating in oil (presumably diesel)
Photo(2).jpg - picture of frontmost injector, passenger side. Frontmost drainback line was extended to reach over the AC bracket. This is what I believe is leaking from the injector.
Photo (3).jpg - wider angle shot of engine bay with injectors, drainback lines (with no clamps to fasteners to the injectors), and leaky leaky behind the alternator.

Thanks for the help fellas. If I could get some responses in the next 8 hours that would be great. Have to drive home from the office.

taquito971

I bought a complete kit from SS Diesel with new hoses, clamps, and two caps for the last injectors in the line. They are rubber lines with cloth over the top. Fit was good, no leaks (like I had with the vacuum cap I replaced). My kit only used clamps on the caps, not the lines themselves.

ETA:
I found kits of varying completeness online when I bought mine. Some were only lines, you re-used your caps and clamps, some had air cleaner gaskets, some didn't. I bought mine because it came with gaskets, clamps, and caps. And the price was decent. If your caps are bad (mine were) make sure your kit includes them.

Last edited:

Terracoma

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/63721-injector-return-lines.html

I initially ignored the advice in this thread and purchased a kit from NAPA very plainly marked "Made in China" ... Less than two months later the rubber had dry-rotted, and I was (once again) spraying diesel all over the engine compartment and covering the driveway in puddles of fuel.

The Tygon fuel line can actually be purchased from a number of sources, including McMaster-Carr, but I wound up purchasing two packages the same tubing in the above thread (Dubro P/N 554) via a hobby shop seller on eBay. You can use the 5/32" (inside diameter) tubing without any clamps, since there seems to be very little fuel pressure on the return side.

Edit:

Here's a photo of the cap that goes on the rear injectors. Looks like the cap is also 5/32" inside diameter, ~0.152" or so.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks